Joy's Reviews > Remarkable Creatures

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier

Mar 07, 11

Recommended for: people who enjoy great historic novels and strong women characters.
Read from February 01 to March 07, 2011 , read count: once

I loved this book, as I have all of Tracy Chevaliers books. Just as she does in many of her novels, Chevalier takes real historical figures and weaves a creative, imaginative, wonderful story around it. She also tends to create strong women characters who are navigating that line between being women of their time and being women who are finding their own identity--this is true of Remarkable Creatures.

In this book, you will meet Elizabeth Philpot, Mary Anning, (who take turns narrating the book), their families and a whole host of fossil hunters who were looking for fossils and found more than they bargained for. Until I read this book, I had never heard of either of the narrators, or of any of the other characters, but I absolutely loved them in this novel.

Tracy Chevalier has a real gift for writing these historic novels and I always look forward to picking up her latest addition. This one was up to her usual standards and I am so glad I picked it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Remarkable Creatures.