Tatiana's Reviews > Okay for Now

Dec 21, 10

bookshelves: 2010, children-s-middle-school, ala-ya-2012, national-book-award
Recommended for: everyone
Read from December 17 to 21, 2010

I don't think I've cried this much over a book since Mockingjay. Okay for Now must be one of the most bitter-sweet stories out there. Exhilarating is probably the best word to describe it.

If you've read The Wednesday Wars, you already know the main character of this novel - Doug Swieteck. While this companion novel follows the formula and themes of The Wednesday Wars, Doug's story is a heavier one. Holling's problems are nothing compared to Doug's. His father is quick with his hands, his elder brother is a bully, his mother is powerless, he himself is defined by what his family is and can't seem to break away from the image everyone has of him.

But, thankfully, there are new people in Doug's life who expect the best of him, who give him a fair chance at succeeding in life, who empower him to become the best person he can be and he, in turn, empowers others.

It is amazing how complex and multi-layered Schmidt's characters are. You think of them in one way and then there comes a moment when they reveal another side of themselves, and suddenly a bully is a loyal brother, a prejudiced school principal is the best supporter... I love it that everyone in this book has redeeming qualities that are ready to be expressed, if only you give a person a chance.

The book took me on an emotional roller-coaster ride. It made me cry my eyes out in sorrow one moment and grin (and again, cry) in delight and of pride the next. Schmidt has a wonderful way with words and a skill of showing and not telling, when by saying nothing, he says it all.

I have no doubt Okay for Now will be a serious Newbery contender in 2011 and, dare I say, it is even superior to The Wednesday Wars. The book is not out until April of the next year, but it is so worth waiting for. Too bad this cover doesn't do this terrific book justice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Okay for Now.

12/17/2010 page 31
12/19/2010 page 157
43.0% "Very good. I already cried." 2 comments
12/20/2010 page 300
82.0% "Seriously, this book is making me sob every other page now. I love it."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Whoa! Exciting!!

They stil haven't nailed the cover, it seems, although I do think this might work better than either the hc or pbk of WW.

Tatiana Yeah, this one is indeed very ugly:)

message 3: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Well I'm sold. Great review matey.

Annalisa I can't wait to read it. I loved The Wednesday Wars.

Tiffany Neal I thought FOR SURE this would be Newberry worthy, but alas, I was disappointed.

Tatiana Not even an Honor!:(

Laura Leydes I loved it too. I've read it twice. And I also hate the cover.

Sophie I just read this and wow, it really made me emotional! A keeper for sure.

Jenna Melberg I think it is much better than The Wednesday Wars. What a beautiful novel!

Dominika I cried so so many times!!! This Book is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read...

Tatiana Oh yeah, I was covered with tears myself:)