Shirley's Reviews > The Opposite of Fate: Memories of a Writing Life

The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan

Nov 24, 10

It has been a number of years since I read The Joy Luck Club. I wish I had reread it before reading The Opposite of Fate: A Book of Musings. This book allows the reader to see how some of Amy Tan's real-life experiences have influenced her tales of fiction. Amy Tan takes the reader on a voyage into the mind of a writer. In writing and giving speeches, instructors advise you to select topics of which you have knowledge. Amy Tan achieves a flawless blend of knowledge, research, and imagination.

A favorite quote was "People think it's a terrible tragedy when someone has Alzheimer's. But in my mother's case; it's different. My mother had been unhappy all her life... For the first time in her life, she is happy."

I also liked it when Amy Tan described how she sometimes felt as though she were going to implode when verbally trying to express herself. Writing is a release for that frustration. It allows us the find the "right" words to express our perceptions of life.

This book is suited for and adult audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Opposite of Fate.