Roniq's Reviews > Like Water for Chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Apr 09, 08

bookshelves: books-i-ve-read-in-2008, favorites
Recommended for: Food lovers, Hispanic Culture, those looking for a quick fun read
Read in April, 2008

I got this for .50 cents at the Bellevue Library Bookstore. I love that place. I've been wanting to read it for a long time. The older guy who sold it to me said "This book is weird". "Great, I said". My kind of Book. A tale of Mexican life complete with food recipes,monthly installments and Home remedies. I just spent time in Texas and really enjoyed being surrounded by Hispanic and Southern culture more than I am here in Seattle. I had never heard of a Frito Pie until I was in Corpus Chrisi. Had my first Shrimp Po'Boy there too, Ummm Yummy!!!!

Well I just finished reading it and I really enjoyed it. Each chapter opens with a separate month and recipe based on events happening in the story. BRILLIANT. I think this might be the fastest I've read a book on record, 24 hours start to finish. I couldn't put it down. I loved the relationship between Tita and her family, ok sometimes not, she had several family members I could have done without. Of course this made for a great read though. Tragic, Romantic, Fantastical, Funny and Sad I was totally wrapped up in Tita's life and what would happen next. Now I want to see the film version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Water for Chocolate.