Quinn's Reviews > Tempest

Tempest by Jamie DeBree

Feb 18, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads, contemporary-romance, i-own
Read on February 17, 2011

Tempest is a book you could read in one sitting, and it would keep you engaged the entire time. The action comes into play early, and keeps a steady momentum throughout, with some truly memorable moments.

Professor Charlotte “Charlie” Reynolds is leading a group of hikers up Tempest Mountain. Among the group is Jake Nelson, a man to whom Charlie feels an irresistible pull. Unfortunately he is accompanied by the beautiful and much younger Adrienne.

This would have to be the hiking trip from hell. So much goes wrong - fast. Jake turns out to be a special agent, acting as bodyguard to protect Adrienne, which puts the rest of the group in danger. Not only are they hunted by the bad guys who want to get to Adrienne, but the wild animals seem to want to share in the action, too.

Given this was a novella, the hero and heroine needed to establish a connection fairly quickly, and I thought the author handled this really well. Of necessity, there was an immediate ‘connection’ between the two, but they did not fall into insta-lust and pounce on each other at the first opportunity.

I wouldn’t call this an erotic novel, either. It was not a book where the plot existed only to take the reader from one sex scene to the next. In fact, for reasons unknown, I had expected more love scenes than there was – although I’m not complaining. The first such scene was one of the hottest I’ve read in a while, and the H/h were in separate tents!

Charlie was a fairly realistic character – she was neither a kick-ass heroine, nor helpless. She was someone who was happy to take charge and wanted to pull her weight, but also recognised her own limitations and welcomed help when she was in need. Charlie went through a lot in a short space of time, and Jake provided some much needed strength and comfort.

I also liked that the hero, Jake, was not a study in super-human perfection and made mistakes. I appreciate that sort of realism. Unfortunately, he made the same mistake of leaving his charge unprotected one too many times for the realism to stick. If you leave the witness you are protecting alone once, and she comes to harm, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t do it again. And probably not to have sex, either.

Also, in the interest of realism, you would not book the hike you were using as cover under the actual name of the witness you are protecting. I'm sure the FBI trains their agents better than this, or they at least are able to use their own common sense.

None of this ruined the story for me, though. It written in such a way that it was very easy to just roll with it. What did come close, however, was the heroine’s inexplicable urge to giggle in times of extreme danger. I understand people can have uncontrolled irrational emotional responses in heightened states, however it wasn’t portrayed that way here.

It is tough to pull off a satisfying novella length story, and it is probably only fair to make allowances for the limitations. In a full-length novel, I may have down-graded my rating for some of detail that otherwise would have been lacking, but all in all I think Jamie DeBree produced an entertaining read and made the most of the pages available. I would be really interested to see what she could do with a full-length novel.

This book was won in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempest.

02/18/2011 page 104
71.0% "Oops! Jake just became Jeff."
show 1 hidden update…