Faye's Reviews > Succubus Blues

Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead

May 07, 11

bookshelves: first-in-series, richelle-mead, read-in-2011, angels-or-fallen-angels-characters, vampires-characters, 18-and-above, romance
Recommended to Faye by: Abby
Read from May 03 to 05, 2011

May 5, 2011
3 stars out of 5

I would have to say that when I first saw this, I expected too much. I expected Georgina to be as witty and smart-ass as Rose (the heroine from Vampire Academy) and in some ways they are but totally different from each other. While Rose Hathaway is a kick-ass, have the don’t-mess-with-me attitude, Georgina Kincaid is the succubus who have the allure but doesn’t want to use it even if she needs to and at times I find her very vulnerable like the time she was attacked and was defenseless; if Rose have no qualms defending herself or anyone on any attack, Georgina can not because she doesn’t have the power and ability to do so, and I find that the imperfection of the heroine in this series does not diminish the impact on the story but I think it is one quality that Mead thought so carefully about to make a different appeal and different approach this time and more so, considerably add solidity on the difference she wants to establish between her heroines.

I liked the story of Georgie’s past what with her committing a crime and being a succubus to repair the damage she have done even if a part of her would never forgive herself (or so I think) and that past still haunting her whenever she meets a good, decent guy say like Seth and Roman (oh, how Roman fooled her). I also like the Seth Mortensen guy, the writer who at first doesn’t seem very interesting but after the encounter with the twin nephilim, he got very interesting with his hidden affection to the succubus who doesn’t really want to be one.

For the story line itself, well I can’t help but compare it to Vampire Academysince it is one of my favourite series of all time but I know it is different and I’m trying to tell that to myself to differentiate the two, so, I think the story was different and well this is my first book highlighting succubus, lesser demons and arch demons with angels (aside from Cassandra Clare’s nephilims and Shadowhunters but no succubus or imps) and it make the story interesting for me on how they dwell and continue to exist and find a substance to their immortal lives after centuries and all the experiences they gained.

For a really good kicker, I did not see it coming that the sweet intelligent Roman could be the culprit of the attacks against immortals, and that, I give praise to Mead, you always manage to give me a surprise to your books and for that, I continue to be a fan looking and wanting for more. 3 stars because it’s not really bad although I wish it is more action-packed that would really be a kick-ass one (I know Vampire Academy fever again); but hey, the second book seems very appealing from the hints given at the end of the book with what happened to Seth, with Georgina’s sacrifice and I’m also interested for more Carter, the angel.

I would recommend it to all Richelle Mead fans who would want to see a different world only she can create; a different realm very far away from Rose, Dmitri and their gang who we have learned to dearly love; but similarly appealing or is it more appropriate to say seducing and enticing?

By the way, the 5 page reading rule with Georgina, well, I think I’m going to try it to savour the moment of reading books that I’ve waited for a very long time to be released since I tend to read it in one sitting but well, I was never popular to have patience as my strongest virtue. :D
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Succubus Blues.

Quotes Faye Liked

Richelle Mead
“We all have moments of weakness. It’s how we recover from them that really counts.”
Richelle Mead, Succubus Blues

05/03/2011

message 1: by Gabby (new)

Gabby how's this book,faye? maganda ba? :)

Faye so far, ok naman. not as good as V.A, pero siguro sa simula lang or rather sa first book? haha.

message 3: by Gabby (new)

Gabby ah, i see! i'm expecting a rose-like heroine in this book! haha! ahmmm.. this is adult fiction?

Faye yeah, it is. Hmm, with the wits, yeah she's Rose-like. I'll try to see if this will get better since I'm mostly halfway pa lang naman.

message 5: by Gabby (new)

Gabby ok faye! i'll wait for your review! :)

Faye haha. thanks Gabby for the confidence you have in me. hahaha.

message 7: by Gabby (new)

Gabby yay! nice review faye! i'll give this one a shot. :)

Faye haha. thanks Gabby, give it a try. :)