Bernadette's Reviews > Jamila the White Falcon

Jamila the White Falcon by Mirjam Ricarda Hampel

Nov 25, 10

bookshelves: childrens-fiction, childrens-informational-fiction, middle-east
Recommended for: teachers in the Arab world
Read from November 23 to 25, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 3

Jamila the White Falcon is the story of one falcon's training for and participation in a speed racing contest. Although I was excited to read a story about a falcon, I discovered that I was not so excited to read about using animals for sport. As mentioned in the story, the Gulf states have a history of using falcons for hunting – and I guess that's what I would rather have read about. Besides the content being uninteresting to me, the writing style also left a lot to be desired – a few awkward sentences, funny use of pronouns, and an ending of “Goodbye” that reminded me of my young students' writing. (It was written by a veterinarian.) The best part about the book are the illustrations! Gorgeous color pencil drawings with nice detail and interesting subjects on each page. At the end of the story are pages with more information about three different falcon species, which I appreciated but they also made me wonder why the other two species were included...do they also race?

I imagine students in the Arab world that are familiar with the practice of falcon racing would enjoy this story more than I did.

The book does have me wanting to know more about falcons now ...and I do love books that spark my interest in a topic – and so I'm giving this book 3 stars instead of 2.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jamila the White Falcon.