Nomes's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

4.5 and a definite favourite of mine :)

My review: ...in which I RAVE about a paranormal YA (!)

Mate, how much did I LOVE this book?

So... when I read Unearthly ~ it was just the perfect book for the mood I was in:

seamless, well-written prose that's easy to sink into (the pages fly by ~ OKAY, so I got addicted and couldn't put it down...). A main character to love, a couple of fictional boys whom I was oh-so-delighted to be introduced to, and a story that kept me charmed the whole way through.

You know when you read a book and then later emerge from the pages and feel like you have literally been transported to another place and time? That was me and Unearthly ~ the setting was LOVELY ~ I just soaked it up. It was so easy to become immersed in it: the small town vibe, the high school halls and the forest ~ all beautiful.

The characters are REAL, man. Like contemp characters: fleshed out and interesting and Clara is an MC you will fall in love with. She's spunky and fun, and also a little unsure of herself. I LOVED her brother and her mum and the family dynamic. I liked the semi-complicated girl friendships, and I ADORED the two boys in Clara's life

I LOVE a convincing and anti-melodramatic love triangle. Hand has NAILED it in Unearthly. She has all the right components that make it a compelling, non-cliche, tangled-up swoon-y triangle. AND, the LOVE STORY that emerges in the second half of the book would rival some of your favourite YA couples ~ it has so many funny, fun, genuine, butterflies in your tummy moments. Sigh... I LOVE that feeling of swooning along with the MC and I would DARE you not to swoon in this book :) Young TUCKER has leapt on to my literary crush list ~ what a guy ;)

The whole VIBE of the book was just refreshing. It's a book you could happily pass on to younger YA readers (the angle lore was done really well, it felt good and clean and intriguing) ~ yet will also appeal to anyone who enjoys a GOOD coming-of age. There was nothing tacky or cringe-worthy about it.

Unearthly also features a pretty STUNNING kind-of twist in the climax ~ which has me SO hanging out for the sequel ~ yet it didn't leave me with a painful cliff-hanger. Perfectly done.

Recommended: why, yes, yes, yes. You know when Anna and the French Kiss came out ~ and non-contemp readers were falling all over it and in love? Unearthly is (for me) it's paranormal equivalent. I have fallen in love with it ~ I couldn't put it down. I swooned, I found it utterly compelling with gorgeous prose and charming characters. It's a definite favourite of mine. <3 <3 <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.

02/15/2011 page 57
13.0% "paranormals is not really my thing but I'm really digging this so far ~ yeah :)" 3 comments

Comments (showing 2-51)

message 51: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Gorgeous! I love the Aussie cover. Thanks for sharing :)

To add picture click on (some htlm is ok) above and it explains.

oliviasbooks It's gorgeous. But I believe the bluish one is not the final composition anyway. It lacks color.

message 49: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes ahh, thanks nic - can;t believe I figured it out (4th time - now I can't remember what I did...)

I dont know which cover I like best?

message 48: by Ambika (new) - added it

Ambika its quite beautiful

message 47: by Romy (new) - added it

Romy I love it, I prefer it to the American one.

Jessica Wow, the Aussie cover is way cooler!

message 45: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes It is atmospheric. A bit a la Fallen/Torment

It's growing on me. Usually I am not a fan of anything too flamboyant/dramatic - but this one is enticing

message 44: by ~Tina~ (last edited Dec 05, 2010 04:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ That's purdy!! I hope us Canadian's get this version as well:)

message 43: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F I like it but her hair is too orange. She's looks like she dipped her head in Cheeto dust.

message 42: by Jessica (last edited Dec 05, 2010 04:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica Well...you can't know that but her hair is actually orange. They call her Bozo... *snickers*

message 41: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F Her hair is supposed to be that way? *scratches head* Well, whatever floats the author's boat, I guess.

message 40: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Cheetos' yum.

Jessica, seriously they called her Bozo?

~Tina~ Cheetos are my fav;

Bozo? Wow, poor girl.

Jessica Yep, they called her Bozo. Meanie heads...

Hehe, you'll find out soon enough what's up with that orange hair ;-)

message 37: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim JFC, that's beautiful.

Mad Scientist Ah, I love this one 100 more then the US cover!!! Thanks for sharing!

message 35: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic 4 stars YAY! What did you think of Tucker?

message 34: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes It's more a 4.5 stars! Tucker is definitely my newest crush.

I couldn't put this one down. It was such a perfect read for what i needed right now! I'll have to check out some more paranormal stuff after loving this! :D

(also, I got this from my library ~ but am now oh-so-tempted to go out and buy my own copy so Tucker can be on shelves :)

Jessica Yay! So happy you liked it, Nomes :)

~Tina~ Yay's!!

message 31: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes It's the first paranormal I've *loved*

(at least, that I can think of) and, now I know what it feels like to have to wait for a sequel ~ I don't read many series books. This is going to be painful...

message 30: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic This calls for a dancing banana. Smiley I am so happy you enjoyed this.

I will have to think now what else you might like.

~Tina~ You know this is big when it's a Dancing Banana moment!
Very happy for you Nomes. Paranormal rocks!

message 28: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes yay for the dancing banana!

bring on any recs :)

and tina ~ i am usually such a FAIL at paranormal but it always looks like everyone else is having SUCH A GOOD TIME WITH IT.

i have been feeling out of the loop.

Until Tucker came along :D

message 27: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Ahhh Tucker ~swoons~

message 26: by ~Tina~ (last edited Feb 16, 2011 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ I know what you mean Nomes. I just started to like realistic fiction and YA chick-lit a little more in the last couple of months, but paranorm is still my favorite genre:)

TUCKER ~SWOOON~

message 25: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes Swoons back :)

I have actually already re-read all of Tucker's scenes already :) Even though I only picked up the book from the library last night,. read it one and a half times.

also liked that christian is a great guy too. just, you know, not TUCKER...

message 24: by Nic (last edited Feb 16, 2011 03:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Tucker and the fishing scene ~swoons~. I need to buy my own copy this weekend, I feel a re-read coming on :)

message 23: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes Tucker and any scene! some awesome kissing moments too. sigh. But, yeah, that fishing scene is *perfect* I'll have to make sure I buy a copy before the next one comes out. Meanwhile, I'm holding onto my library copy for a little bit longer yet :) I'm not ready to part with it...

~Tina~ I loved all Tucker scenes. I think I spent a week just re-reading all the yummyness:D Awesome Angel book!

message 21: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes OMG ~ have you licked on the portuguese cover of this book? LOL. She's NAKED!!! (just above in the 'other editions' section.

message 20: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes Ooooh ~ BAD typo. I meant "clicked" haha.

message 19: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic LOL! She is. That cover makes no sense.

~Tina~ Hehe^^

Wow, I'm not sure what to say about that. It doesn't quite fit the book now does it?

The colorful one you posted in your review is really pretty, but I like my purple one since it's one of my favorite colors =D

Jessica Nomes wrote: "Ooooh ~ BAD typo. I meant "clicked" haha."

LMAO! Too cute, Nomes :)

Janina LOL :). Glad you liked this one, Nomes! I'm really looking forward to reading it myself, but I'm kind of waiting for the paperback ... although it does sound like it's worth buying the hardcover edition (I love the Aussie cover, by the way, it's so much prettier).

I think another one you could like is maybe Nevermore ... actually, a lot of reviews I've been reading state that the romance reads a lot like in contemporary novels - and I know you usually like these more ;) - but the paranormal aspect is fresh and interesting. And it has Varen ...

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Varen. Nom.

message 14: by Arlene (new)

Arlene "paranormal equivalent to Anna and the French Kiss"???

Must read it now! Great review Nomes!

message 13: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Swooning with you! Another brilliant review :)

message 12: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes @ aRLENE: WELL, THERE'S NO FRANCE ~ BUT IT'S A LUSH SETTING, SWOON-WORTHY GUY, AND cLARA IS KINDA NA EVRY GIRL ~ LIKE aNNA :) fOR ME, IT HAD THAT SAME 'COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN' LOVE FEEL :)

bugger! caps lock ~ can't be bothered re-typing that!

@ Janina ~ just sent the hubby out *right then* to get nevermore from my library reservations. Nervously looking forward to it :)

message 11: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes @ Nic: thanks :) I have SO MANY reviews to write. i wrote out a little list of books I want/need to review (that I've read this year) and stuck it up next to the computer. Might have to do mini reviews I think :)

message 10: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Oh I believe you. Definitely reading this. Just have about 10 books before I get to that one.

LOL about the caps. :)

Milly I'm loving your review Nomes!--so cute and refreshing!

I'm with you Arlene! Got about a dozen books to get through as well!

~Tina~ Awesomely well said Nomes!! Your making me want to read this all over again:)

message 7: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes Thanks guys.

Just writing this review made me nostalgic. Tucker. Le sigh...

message 6: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes

Oooh ~ UK cover reveal O.o

message 5: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Definitely gorgeous!!! But I still like ours better :)

message 4: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes the UK one is like a mix of the Au and the US :)

Tina Okay now I understand your gushing in this review Nomes! This book = :o!!! That ending! :o When is the next book coming out?!

message 2: by Nomes (new) - added it

Nomes haha, Tina. I did gush a lot. I guess I really just had an awesome time reading it.

Plus, the characters were GOOD ~ on par with ones in a contemp (I usually struggle with caring about characters in paranormal YA for some reason...)

I think the next one is coming out a year after this one? UNEARTHLY was out in Australia just before Christmas (is only coming out in the UK just now, US was January 2011)

« previous 1