Julie's Reviews > The Darkest Secret

The Darkest Secret by Gena Showalter

Apr 08, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in April, 2011

Review, including quotes, posted at http://yummymenandkickasschicks.com/?...

The Darkest Secret is book seven in Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld series. This series revolves around a group of immortal warriors who have been punished for opening Pandora’s Box by having to each house a demon inside him or herself. We’re talking big, sexy, yummy immortal warriors. Warriors that have learned to (somewhat) control their demons and are now really awesome ‘people’ who are fiercely loyal to one another and those they love. Seriously, not much to not love about these guys and these books. They are Paranormal Romance at its finest.

The Darkest Secret is Amun’s story, the Keeper of Secrets. Amun is not one to speak because when he tries, every secret his demon has ever fished out of someone’s head comes rushing out. He’d rather stay silent than risk hurting the feelings of those around him. He can also hear people’s thoughts, something he’s had to get used to over the years. He’s the Lord who is the most ‘stable’, doing anything and everything he can to help out his friends. He’s also the character we’ve known the least about from previous books because he’s so quiet, calm and seemingly ‘together’.

But he’s found himself someone who can hear his thoughts! Someone he can communicate with! How can she hear him? Who knows really, but she can and that’s what’s important. Amun has found himself a woman he feels passionate about and who is helping him deal with the demon minions who entered him when he went to Hell in the last book. Yeah…these Lords are always up to something. Going to the U.S. to hunt some Hunters, going to Hell to help save a minion who has befriended one of them. You know, the usual kind of stuff we all do every day. (Not really) The only little glitch with the perfect woman Amun has finally found…she’s a Hunter. Annnnd she’s the one responsible for killing one of the Lords centuries ago. Well damn.

Haidee has spent her whole life hating the Lords and the Demons who possess them. After all, they are responsible for the death of her family so it’s only natural that she do whatever she can to get her revenge. I liked how Haidee wasn’t written as automatically being cool with everything that was going on. I liked that she had a bit of fire in her. And I really liked where her character ends up.

Amun and Haidee together…wonderful. Then again, Gena is excellent when it comes to her couplings. Her heroes and heroines are always unique and fun to watch. Witnessing their relationships bloom is sweet and the pairing in this book is no exception. Of course, you get your initial “Mine” moments – I always like those. Then you get to the real nitty gritty of the characters and you find out why they are so well matched.

Now, the lovin’ in this series is always steaming. Really, there are some h-o-t scenes. But I don’t think I’ve even blushed the way I did when I read Amun and Haidee’s initial um…exploration. Authors always describe ‘things’. That’s a given. But I don’t think I’ve ever come across an author actually use a single word to describe what was going on. Honestly, I’m blushing just writing this and I’m not sure how else to put it. So I’m going to quote the book. You can use your imagination to fill in the blanks. And yes, what you think is most likely what is happening.

Liiick

That’s it. I read that and I didn’t know whether to hide my eyes or *squee*. Seriously, that one word made that scene one of the ones I will remember for a long while. I mean really. *blush*

We saw a lot of Strider in this book, which makes sense because his book is next. We also saw him with his future HEA. There are a few characters in this series that guarantee to put a smile on my face and make me giggle out loud the second they appear on the page. William for one, Anya is the other. And then there is Strider. I LOVE him! Love Love Love him. I really can’t wait for his book and I am very pleased with who his HEA will be. They are, once again yay Gena, a wonderful match!

Gena continues to amaze me with this series. The books all follow the same overall story arc, but each book is so different one from the other. The characters are wonderful to read, easy to love and fun to cheer for. She’s created an incredibly unique world that sucks me in each time I pick up a new title. I enjoyed this installment and am really looking forward to September 27th when The Darkest Surrender hits stores.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Secret.