Lara's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Nov 23, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2009, fantasy, ghosts-and-spirits, newbery, juvenile, hugo
Read in July, 2009, read count: 1

I can't say I absolutely LOVED this--there were a few things that I wasn't quite sure about. For instance, I did not much like the illustrations by Dave McKean, and I would have rather them not been there at all (I much prefer Chris Riddell's illustrations in the UK edition for children, which is the version I ended up purchasing). And I felt like the society of Jacks could have done with a little more...well, a little more, I guess. There wasn't really enough info about them and their prophecy included to make their goals seem real. They didn't really seem all that sinister, just...slightly stupid? I would have liked to know a little more about Silas and his Honour Guard as well. However, despite those things, I really, really liked this book a lot. I loved Bod and his relationships with Silas and his ghost parents and Liza and Scarlett, and even with THE SLEER. I loved the sort of bittersweet ending. I thought that for the most part, this was beautifully written, and it was quickly added to my "to buy" list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.