Alisha Marie's Reviews > The Distant Hours

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

Nov 23, 2010

bookshelves: historical, favorites, gothic, tearjerkers, e-books-i-ve-read
Read in December, 2010

So, I have raved to anyone and everyone about how much I loved Kate Morton's The House at Riverton. Seriously, that was my favorite book for 2009 and one of my favorite books ever. I also loved The Forgotten Garden, though I didn't rave about that one quite as much as I raved about The House at Riverton. However, The Distant Hours deserves the most praise out of all three books. Why? Well, because it takes what's amazing about The House at Riverton (the moodiness, the atmosphere) and what's tremendous about The Forgotten Garden (the airiness, the enchantment) and puts it together into one fantastic novel.

I loved every single word of The Distant Hours. Yes, the book is long as hell, but every single page was worth it. Book lover that I am, I loved the character of Edie and could completely understand why she would be so enchanted with Milderhurst Castle (as I am also a Gothic Literature Lover or GLL as I like to call it) and her fascination with the written word was something that I could relate to. I was so connected to everything in this book. MILD SPOILER: LIKE VERY MILD: During one part, Edie is talking to Saffy and Saffy is concerned that Percy will catch her doing just that, and I felt just as worried as Edie that Percy would catch the two conversing and Saffy wouldn't be able to tell her story. I just didn't want them to be interrupted. END OF EXTREMELY MILD SPOILER.

I was so enchanted with The Distant Hours. One of my favorite things about it was the whole history of The Mud Man. It came to the point where I really wished that book existed because it just sounded so utterly fascinating and captivating. (And since we're being truthful, if J.K. Rowling had written The Distant Hours, The Mud Man would be a published best-selling novella by now. So, maybe it's foolish, but I want The Mud Man published.) The same thing happened in The Forgotten Garden. I found Eliza's fairytales enchanting and just as enjoyable (if not more) than the overall story.

There were a lot of twists and turns in The Distant Hours. And no I'm not going to mention not even one of them. However, I will say that I discovered one of the twists before it had been revealed, but there were many more were that came from (but not in that annoying "mystery writer" type of way. Each of these twists seemed necessary and weren't necessarily red-herrings). Every time I thought that I had something figured out, Morton would throw a curveball at it and everything would unravel again (again, not in the annoying mystery writer way).

So, I definitely, whole-heartedly, recommend The Distant Hours. It was an amazing, enchanting, captivating read that just flew by since you're desperate to figure what really went on. Read it if you want a read with any of these things. Also, The Distant Hours is best read in the evening in the middle of a storm (rainstorm, snowstorm, sandstorm, it doesn't really matter), just to feel the full effect. I read some of it yesterday in the middle of a snowstorm, at night, and ended up creeping myself out just a little. Anyway, read The Distant Hours. It was amazing and Kate Morton is an amazing writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distant Hours.