Elizabeth Ashworth's Reviews > The Lodger Shakespeare: His Life on Silver Street

The Lodger Shakespeare by Charles Nicholl

2009942
Dec 07, 2010

Read from November 23 to December 07, 2010

I feel as if I've been on a walk through the 16th century streets of London. I've seen the rooms where Shakespeare lodged whilst he was working in the city - writing and acting in plays, corroborating with other writers and becoming involved in the personal lives of the Mountjoys 'tire' makers.

I've seen the hard working business people and their wives whose pretty faces were an additional attraction to customers, I've seen the churches, the gardens, the theatres and the seamier underworld of crooks, pimps and prostitutes.

I enjoyed having Shakespeare revealed to me as a real man in a real world. The book in fact does not say a lot about him personally, but by describing the world in which he lived and the people he knew and worked with the reader sees him from a fresh perspective. From the records of a court case, regarding the non payment of a dowry to Mary Mountjoy, in which Shakespeare was called to give evidence, the author uncovers a previously hidden world and sets William Shakespeare on his very own, real life stage.

It was a fascinating and revealing book.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lodger Shakespeare.