Aleeeeeza's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Quotes Aleeeeeza Liked

J.K. Rowling
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”

J.K. Rowling
“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”

J.K. Rowling
“As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all - the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.”

J.K. Rowling
“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”

J.K. Rowling
“Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!”

J.K. Rowling
“I hope you're pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed - or worse, expelled. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to bed.”

J.K. Rowling
“What happened down in the dungeons between you and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret, so, naturally the whole school knows.”

J.K. Rowling
“You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid-we know we're called Gred and Forge.”

J.K. Rowling
“A breeze ruffled the neat hedges of Privet Drive, which lay silent and tidy under the inky sky, the very last place you would expect astonishing things to happen. Harry Potter rolled over inside his blankets without waking up. One small hand closed on the letter beside him and he slept on, not knowing he was special, not knowing he was famous, not knowing he would be woken in a few hours' time by Mrs. Dursley's scream as she opened the front door to put out the milk bottles, nor that he would spend the next few weeks being prodded and pinched by his cousin Dudley...He couldn't know that at this very moment, people meeting in secret all over the country were holding up their glasses and saying in hushed voices: "To Harry Potter - the boy who lived!”

J.K. Rowling
“Now, you two – this year, you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you've – you've blown up a toilet or –"
"Blown up a toilet? We've never blown up a toilet."
"Great idea though, thanks, Mum.”

J.K. Rowling
“So light a fire!" Harry choked. "Yes...of course...but there's no wood!" ...
"HAVE YOU GONE MAD!" Ron bellowed. "ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT!”

J.K. Rowling
“There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.”

J.K. Rowling
“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”

J.K. Rowling
“Everybody finished the song at different times. At last, only the Weasley twins were left singing along to a very slow funeral march.”

J.K. Rowling
“I tell you, that dragon's the most horrible animal I've ever met, but the way Hagrid goes on about it, you'd think it was a fluffy little bunny rabbit.”
tags: pets

“Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald,
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us something worth knowing,
Bring us back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot...”

J.K. Rowling
“Can't stay long, Mother," he said. "I'm up front, the prefects have got two compartments to themselves-"
"Oh, are you a prefect, Percy?" said one of the twins, with an air of great surprise. "You should have said something, we had no idea."
"Hang on, I think I remember him saying something about it," said the other twin. "Once-"
"Or twice-"
"A minute-"
"All summer-"
"Oh, shut up," said Percy the Prefect.”

J.K. Rowling
“Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!”

J.K. Rowling
“Do you mean ter tell me," he growled at the Dursleys, "that this boy—this boy!—knows nothin' abou'—about ANYTHING?"
Harry thought this was going a bit far. He had been to school, after all, and his marks weren't bad.
"I know some things," he said. "I can, you know, do math and stuff.”

J.K. Rowling
“But people only die in proper duels, you know, with real wizards. The most you and Malfoy’ll be able to do is send sparks at each other. Neither of you knows enough magic to do any real damage. I bet he expected you to refuse, anyway.”
“And what if I wave my wand and nothing happens?”
“Throw it away and punch him on the nose,” Ron suggested.”

J.K. Rowling
“No, thanks," said Harry. "The toilet's never had anything as horrible as your head down it— it might be sick." Then he ran, before Dudley could work out what he'd said.”

J.K. Rowling
“They heard the click of the mail slot and flop of letters on the doormat.
"Get the mail, Dudley," said Uncle Vernon from behind his paper.
"Make Harry get it."
"Get the mail, Harry."
"Make Dudley get it."
"Poke him with your Smelting stick, Dudley.”

J.K. Rowling
“Oh, these people's minds work in strange ways, Petunia, they're not like you and me," said Uncle Vernon, trying to knock in a nail with the piece of fruitcake Aunt Petunia had just brought him.”

J.K. Rowling
“Which way did they go, Peeves?" Filch was saying. "Quick, tell me."
"Say 'please.'"
"Don't mess with me, Peeves, now where did they go?"
"Shan't say nothing if you don't say please," said Peeves in his annoying singsong voice.
"All right- PLEASE."
"NOTHING! Ha haaa! Told you I wouldn't say nothing if you didn't say please! Ha ha! Haaaaaa!" And they heard the sound of Peeves whooshing away and Filch cursing in rage.”

J.K. Rowling
“Call him Voldemort, Harry. Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.”

J.K. Rowling
“Fred, you next," the plump woman said.
"I'm not Fred, I'm George," said the boy. "Honestly, woman, you call yourself our mother? Can't you tell I'm George?"
"Sorry, George, dear."
"Only joking, I am Fred," said the boy and off he went.”

J.K. Rowling
“Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.”

J.K. Rowling
“Always the innocent are the first victims, so it has been for ages past, so it is now.”

J.K. Rowling
“Lee Jordan was finding it difficult not to take sides.
'So — after that obvious and disgusting bit of cheating —'
'Jordan!' growled Professor McGonagall.
'I mean after that open and revolting foul —'
'Jordan, I'm warning you —'
'All right, all right. Flint nearly kills the Gryffindor Seeker, which could happen to anyone, I'm sure, so a penalty to Gryffindor, taken by Spinnet, who puts it away, no trouble, and we continue play, Gryffindor still in possession.”

J.K. Rowling
“Yes, Severus does seem the type, doesn't he? So useful to have him swooping around like an overgrown bat.”

J.K. Rowling
“Never," said Hagrid irritably, "try an' get a straight answer out of a centaur. Ruddy stargazers. Not interested in anythin' closer'n the moon.”

J.K. Rowling
“Dudley thought for a moment. It looked like hard work.”

J.K. Rowling
“Oh, are you doing magic? Let’s see it, then.”
She sat down. Ron looked taken aback.
“Er — all right.”
He cleared his throat.

“Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,
Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow.”

He waved his wand, but nothing happened. Scabbers stayed gray and fast asleep.
“Are you sure that’s a real spell?” said the girl. “Well, it’s not very good, is it? I’ve tried a few simple spells just for practice and it’s all worked for me. I’ve learned all our course books by heart, of course.”

J.K. Rowling
“Christmas was coming. One morning in mid-December, Hogwarts woke to find itself covered in several feet of snow. The lake froze solid and the Weasley twins were punished for bewitching several snowballs so that they followed Quirrell around, bouncing off the back of his turban.”

03/17/2012 page 1
0.0% "readalong with Becca! so excited." 2 comments
03/18/2012 page 120
54.0% "OMG<333333"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Becca I'm going to write a review of this when I finish it. A daunting, scary task, but I'm going to try.

Aleeeeeza Becca wrote: "I'm going to write a review of this when I finish it. A daunting, scary task, but I'm going to try."

haha, good luck. my feelings for HP never quite seem to translate into words--gave up trying a long time ago. maybe once im done with the series ill do an HP dedicated post on le blog :)

Becca You definitely should. Maybe I'll save up my thoughts and do a whole series retrospective, because I don't know if I'll have much to say on each individual book.

That said, I should be taking notes.