Maureen's Reviews > Perelandra

Perelandra by C.S. Lewis

Nov 22, 10

A bit longer than his first one with much more philosophical ramblings. Still genius, but definitely takes a bit of thought and it can get tiring if you're plot-oriented like I am and you kind of just want to know what happens. There's a bit more mysticism and a lot more interaction with the spirits/angels who were introduced in the first book. At first I found it a bit off-putting, but then I started thinking about how it kind of makes sense that there would be more interactions later on, much like a friendship.

This one is much more obviously connected to the Christian faith, with the main character heading to Venus, a considerably newer and younger planet than Earth where its Eve is being tempted. My favorite notion introduced to me here was the fact that, as far as we know, our Mother Eve gave in at the first solicitation, but the Eve on Perelandra holds tightly to her beliefs day after day after day of the Devil's logical twistings. Ransom tries to recall Genesis but finds no answers because this scenario has never played out in our own world, and he is thus left to figure out another way to thwart Satan's plans.

Again, it was much slower, but still pretty satisfying. One more to go!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perelandra.