Melannie :)'s Reviews > The Summer I Turned Pretty

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3688297
's review
Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: read-2011
Read from January 13 to 17, 2011

I didn't like this book.

The thing that bother me the most was the girl, Belly, she was VERY annoying. I also just couldn't connect with the story, I mean all the book is about how much she loooooves Conrad (one of her mom's best friend's sons) and everything in her lifes revolves around Conrad.

It was bording on obsession actually, she came across as pathetic. And she complained about EVERYTHING, that the boys wouldn't play with her, that the boys weren't paying her attention, that her bestfriend was getting more attention than her, yadda yadda...
it was ENDLESS!.

Plus, she was so mean to her mother!, and she kept thinking awful things about her mother and father. She was so snotty and whiny and urgh just overall annoying. I couldn't swallow her.

I wanted to like this, the writing was well done, the descrption of the setting was amazing, and there were a lot of cute and funny scenes, ALL OF THEM including Jeremiah (the other son), so I didn't get why Belly was so obsessed with Conrad anyway, he wasn't even an interesting character at all :|

I dont need to be reading this, I've had enough Bella Swan for a lifetime. So I'm probably not reading the rest of the series. God knows it was already a big achievement to have finished this one.
76 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer I Turned Pretty.
sign in »

Reading Progress

01/17/2011 page 130
47.0% "Belly is SO annoying." 8 comments

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gosh...okay it seems your the only one who didn't like it.


message 2: by Melannie :) (last edited Jan 21, 2012 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Melannie :) I don't think so but well...


message 3: by Rally (new) - added it

Rally u have to be in the position to understand hw she felt. it is obvious u come from a family of girls where u r not the only one.


message 4: by Melannie :) (last edited Jul 02, 2011 10:14PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Melannie :) Rally wrote: "u have to be in the position to understand hw she felt. it is obvious u come from a family of girls where u r not the only one."

I understand how she felt but that does not justify her behavior, she acted like she was the only one hurting and it wasn't the case.


Billan It's a freaky book!! Gosh I thought it was great and maybe the other two would explain her and Conrad or her and Jeremiah more than you understand so far.


message 6: by Jude (new) - rated it 1 star

Jude Yay! You also didn't like it :D! *High Five*


Melannie :) Jude wrote: "Yay! You also didn't like it :D! *High Five*"

*HIGHFIVES*

Us and other 26 people, I don't feel so alone now :D


message 8: by Gabbi (new)

Gabbi  Calabrese I did get really annoyed with Belly at times, but I adored this entire series. I actually just bought the third book even though I've already read it, just to have it on my shelf. I think Jenny Han purposely made Belly slightly insufferable because she wanted to leave plenty of room for Belly to grow and mature, which she definitely does, though sometimes in the later books she reverts back to the whiny, temper-tantrum-throwing teenager she was in book one. So I see where your coming from, but Han is a fabulous writer who definitely knows how to invoke emotions in her readers (well, me at least).

I'm curious, though, if you would enjoy the other books. I know some people say that they loved the first book but got annoyed as the series progressed, so I wonder if it works the opposite way. That's kind of the thing that always goes through my head if I don't like the first book of the series, and I guess it goes through my head when others don't like the first in a series as well LOL.

Anyway, I think this review is very well written. A lot of times when I see a negative review about a book I loved, I get all upset and feel defensive but this review didn't actually bash the book or the author or anything, so I didn't care that you didn't like the book. Those are the kind of reviews I respect.


Davina Completely disagree. I feel like most teenage girls will be able to totally relate to Belly's character and feelings, just like I did! But each to their own.


message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy Chen belly, was SUPPOSED to be annoying, like look at bella swan, ppl just like to have a character that has way too much fualts... WHO WANTS A MAIN CHARACTER THATS TOO PERFECT, AND BEYOND REALITY?


Myrsha I really didn't like this book .. Like you said belly was to annoying obsessing over this boy for the hole story was just annoying


message 12: by Melannie :) (last edited Aug 21, 2012 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Melannie :) Since there seems to be a lot of controversy I would like to state that:

- this is my opinion after reading & judging the plot and characters of this book, this is what *I* think, we can agree or disagree and that's the fun of it.

Amy wrote: "belly, was SUPPOSED to be annoying, like look at bella swan, ppl just like to have a character that has way too much fualts... WHO WANTS A MAIN CHARACTER THATS TOO PERFECT, AND BEYOND REALITY?"

I guess some people do, but I don't like annoyning characters, I don't like extremely flawed characters, as well as I don't like characters that are too perfect. I like believable teenagers, not an adult's conception of what a teenager is. Teenagers have brains, not just hormones.


message 13: by Karissa (new)

Karissa I didn't even read the book and before I didn't want to mainly because the girl's name is Belly, like seriously, Belly??? This author seems like a good author, but that's a horrible name. And after seeing people's opinions about this book I'm certain I won't read it. haha. I feel mean.


Melannie :) Karissa wrote: "I didn't even read the book and before I didn't want to mainly because the girl's name is Belly, like seriously, Belly??? This author seems like a good author, but that's a horrible name. And after..."

you're not mean, you are just avoiding a potential waste of your time ;)


message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Melannie :) wrote: "Karissa wrote: "I didn't even read the book and before I didn't want to mainly because the girl's name is Belly, like seriously, Belly??? This author seems like a good author, but that's a horrible..."

*like* :D perfect words. Yes, avoiding potential waste of time. :)


Emily -l shutup.
it was a good book.


Davina Karissa wrote: "I didn't even read the book and before I didn't want to mainly because the girl's name is Belly, like seriously, Belly??? This author seems like a good author, but that's a horrible name. And after..."

You should feel mean! The story is absolutely brilliant. If you're into romance and chick flicks, then it is a MUST. Don't let a couple of bad reviews put you off. The majority of readers are like myself and have nothing but praise for this book and the average rating is high. And come on, please don't be so shallow as to avoid reading a book because you do not like the name of one of the characters! A lot of people have odd nicknames and that's not a reason to dislike or not talk to them, is it?


Nicole Escario The story was meant to be like that. If Belly wouldn't be like that, it would be a sucky story.


Alice Kouzmenko You know, I really don't get this thing about Belly being annoying, am I the only one who totally didn't feel it throughout the book? And also, the whole entire plot was how she was in love with both brothers, that was the point of it. If that wasn't there, there'd really be no story. So I guess I get what you're saying but I don't really agree. She's mean to her mother, well she's supposed to be... that's the point.


Regina Alcantara I totally agree with your point of view, it's like conrad doesn't have anything in special, i think belly it's cute but also she should try with jeremiah


Catherine Basallote I agree. Belly was so annoying, i wanted to curse. But because i cant stand not finishing series, i still read the 2nd book..... And guess what, belly was still annoying but more mature and better, I'm actually looking forward to the 3rd book :)


Catherine Basallote But some scenes in the 2nd book are just plain fake and stupid but interesting


message 23: by Melrose (new)

Melrose I don't understand why all these people are attacking your opinion........it an opinion everyone has different ones smh. Anyway, thanks for the honest review. I think i'm going to skip this book.


Melannie :) Melrose wrote: "I don't understand why all these people are attacking your opinion........it an opinion everyone has different ones smh. Anyway, thanks for the honest review. I think i'm going to skip this book."

I came close of not reading your comment because I get so much cr*p from everyone, but thank you so much! I'm not trying to get everyone not to read the book, I'm just stating why *I* didn't like it, which I supposed GoodReads was for.

(: thanks again, Melrose.


Giselle at Book Nerd Canada I completely agree with you about Belly.. I found her selfish, immature and annoying..


message 26: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah Bouwer Amen to that sister, she is just another cliched girl who thinks she will never be anything without one guy, ugh. I can't relate to this book either


message 27: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha The worst roll model for teenagers to be reading about. I agree.


Ammabelle Yay! Someone finally said it!


Lucía Manzano While I was reading this I couldn't stop laughing, because its like you were reading my mind. God, I HATED Belly, I even hated her name. I can't believe I just spent my whole day reading that stupid book. It was so simple and cliché.


Katie Duncan It's by no means the best book I've ever read, but sometimes I really enjoy reading novels with a more simpleminded theme. I understand why some think her "obsession" with Conrad is taken too far but keep in mind that it was a romantic novel and it would have been dry without that element... And I only ever found her annoying when it flashed back to her being a kid. But let's be real who wasn't annoying as a kid?


ponderinghope I could agree with you except this was my (lets call it triangle) book. Therefore i am completely going to be bias. I read this book in 7th grade and i cried so much. I absolutely hate belly but conrad was it for me. I loved that part. If i allow myself to think about this i would have the very reaction you have. So therefore i will not. But i see what you mean.


message 32: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Isa Dude .. Is a story not every character will be like you want it to be .. Do your own book and do a perfect belly for you


back to top