Daveski's Reviews > The Killer Inside Me

The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson

Nov 25, 10

bookshelves: 52-in-2010
Read from November 22 to 25, 2010

I was told this was a dark novel, but I thought that meant "dark for 1952" dark, not "one of the darkest things I've read in recent memory" dark. The best thing I can think to compare it to is if No Country for Old Men were told in first-person, by Anton Chigurh.

Lou Ford is a small-town sheriff's deputy with a dark secret... you may guess from the title what that secret might be. Upon committing murder, he uses his wit and intelligence to outsmart the other police officers, but he must commit even more murders to keep his trail covered. As you may expect, things begin to close in on him.

This novel is a really interesting look at a murder mystery told from the perspective of the sociopath. The mystery is told in reverse - we know who did it, but what we aren't aware of is how much the police actually know and the details of their investigation. I really enjoyed this one, and I was surprised both by the brutality of the violence and the dark humor in the dialogue. Highly recommended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killer Inside Me.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Daveski I'm pretty sure I picked this up because of a post you made about it, so thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely be hunting down more of his stuff, I'll look for Pop. 1280 next.