Kara's Reviews > Night's Master

Night's Master by Tanith Lee

Jul 04, 11

bookshelves: i-own-it, dark-fantasy, gods-and-demons, fantasy
Read from January 23 to July 04, 2011 — I own a copy

5 stars for Book I: Light Underground. I absolutely loved it! In fact, just read the first 51 pages if you want a teaser. The rest the novel drifted back to 4 stars for me.

One of a kind, this introduction to Tales from the Flat Earth was really interesting. The stories are loosely interconnected and the book could easily be read in one night, or in several separate short readings (as I did).

The stories surrounding the Dark Lord, Azhrarn, and Flat Earth are clever and full of magic and mischief, making them very enjoyable to read. The pace is quick and the writing style descriptive yet concise.

Refreshingly original, I hope to get my hands on some more of these, but the library does not have and they are not the cheapest.

Absolutely love the cover.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night's Master.

01/23/2011 page 31
16.0% "I dunno... interesting story beginning, but I'm on chapter 3 and it still feels like I'm reading the prologue... don't know when this will stop, but I expect that it will."
01/26/2011 page 52
28.0% "Nope. It keeps on like a prologue. Like a storytelling, not a typical novel. What is it that reminds me of prologues... 3rd person? I dunno... not an English major."
01/30/2011 page 89
47.0% "Just wondering if I should take a break before starting Book II. I was left with such a satisfied feeling after book I... " But somewhere perhaps some dark door slammed like thunder in a city underground." Hehehe. Good for you Kazir!"
01/30/2011 page 89
47.0% "A good place to stop, at the end of Book I. I LOVED the story of Kazir and Ferazhin!!! Don't think I will ever forget it. This book is fast picking up favor with me. THEY ARE STORIES! Like a storyteller would give, not like modern day fantasy books where we follow one or two POV characters around. Very rich, imaginative, and vivid, stories."
04/22/2011 page 105
43.0% "Zorashad's Daughter"
05/28/2011 page 163
66.0% "Part II complete. Zorayas (most beautiful) and the two brothers with a palace of cursed diamonds."
show 1 hidden update…

Kara Guess that was quite the break between Part I and Part II. Enjoying the book, but can easily put it down and pick it back up. Also, these are STORIES (almost short stories), so I can easily read another typical fantasy with POV characters at the same time.