Purr More's Reviews > Toil and Trouble

Toil and Trouble by H.P. Mallory

Jul 18, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal, romance, vampires, witches, 4-and-5-star, time-travel, reviewed
Read from June 04 to 18, 2011

Toil and Trouble picks up right after Fire Burn & Cauldron Bubble ends.The power struggle for control of the Underworld continues and the battle between Bella's and Rand's forces is imminent. While the politics, strategy, and preparation for the battle move forward, the love triangle between Rand, Jolie, and Sinjin continues as well.

Rand is his usual conflicted yet sexy self, but we learn a little more about why he has an approach/avoidance issue with Jolie. Then there is Sinjin, our bad-boy vampire who also wants Jolie, but is it because he really likes her or does he have some other agenda? Sinjin plays a much bigger role in this book and the affections of Rand and Sinjin continue to yank Jolie in two different directions for most of the book. However, events toward the end of the book will seem to move her more in one direction than another and makes me wonder how or if this love triangle will be handled in the next book. I have to admit that Jolie's character grated on me a little at times, but I liked the romantic tension between Jolie, Rand, and Sinjin.

There is an element of time travel in this book and during this part we learn more about Rand, Sinjin, and others and get answers to some of the whys and whats of the story. We also learn more about the source of the bad feelings between Sinjin and Rand. If there were any time travel continuity issues I couldn't tell ya.... thinking about the mechanics and issues of time travel tends to give me a wee headache, so I don't worry about it and go with the flow. :)

Mallory has notched up the heat level in this book and the sex scenes are more explicit, though I didn't think they always flowed well--maybe even a little rushed at times--and I felt there were some inconsistencies or continuity issues.

The beginning was a little slow but it picked up soon enough, especially when Sinjin started to get more involved in the story. (Well c'mon..it's Sinjin!) The story kept me turning the pages and I got all the elements that I liked from the first book... a light paranormal romance with a dash of humor and snark, paranormal characters galore, and a romantic conflict but with some extra spice this time around. Since this is a series with a continuing story line that uses the same main characters in each book, I recommend reading it in order so you understand the conflicts, relationships, and history between the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toil and Trouble.