Carmel (Rabid Reads)'s Reviews > The Demon Trapper's Daughter

The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver

4561998
Jun 12, 11

Read from May 23 to June 04, 2011

Original review posted by Rabid Reads: http://www.rabidreads.com/2011/06/review-demon-trappers-daughter-by-jana.html

This book was such a fun read! I enjoyed it from beginning to end; there were a few sad parts but the quirky lower grade demons always managed to put a smile on my face. I read this book while killing time on the various flights I took during my vacation. There were a few points in time where I didn't touch the book for days but it was easy to pick-up right where I left off. No re-reading required. Although, backtracking a bit wouldn't have been a bad thing in this case because this novel is just so good!

Oddly enough I think the demons were my favorite part about this book. They're ranked on a scale of 1 to 5 (I think 5 is the max because nothing higher was mentioned). Riley only "officially" deals with the lower grades as she's just starting out in the world of trapping. I adored the Klepto-Fiends with their little bags and how they're attracted to shinny baubles. You have one guess as to what this hell spawn's main attribute is! I totally want one! The fact that Riley uses sippy-cups to contain them is hilarious. Don't be fooled though, the lower grade demons can still do a lot of damage and the five's are downright scary.

Riley is a fantastic character whom Jana Oliver developed extremely well. She doesn't take no for an answer and knows from the very beginning what she wants to be when she grows up: a trapper. Miss Blackthorne is the first female in the business and I really admired her determination to make it in a "man's world". Tragedy strikes at every turn but Riley keeps at it. Her young age was comically illustrated a few times such as when she was worried about having to go to school with green demon pee all over. Blackthorne is forced to grow up really quickly in this book but she handles it extremely well. Jana Oliver couldn't have come up with a better character for this story's heroine.

My crush on Beck was almost instantaneous. He's rough around the edges, sarcastic and sexy; the perfect ying to Riley's yang. Nothing romantic happens between these two protagonists but a few hints are dropped and I really hope that sparks fly in the second installment of this series. Overall, Beck still remains a mystery to readers. There's definitely more to him than meets the eye but I guess only time will tell what sort of secrets he keeps! His actions show that he has a softer side beneath his tough guy exterior. There were a few instances where I thought to myself aaaww, he's so thoughtful and sweet!

The Demon Trapper's Daughter absolutely blew me away. This book is a must read! Thankfully the next book in this series is out in August. I'm so happy to have been lucky enough to have won a signed copy. Before anyone asks, no I will not be giving it away; this one is a keeper! Get your own. Now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Trapper's Daughter.

Quotes Carmel (Rabid Reads) Liked

Jana Oliver
“Here I am with a seriously hunky guy and I'm covered in demon pee. Why does the universe hate me?”
Jana Oliver, Forsaken

06/04/2011 page 340

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynossa (new)

Lynossa Really? This is in my TBR list, your review makes me wanting it more!