Heather's Reviews > Aloft

Aloft by Chang-rae Lee

May 09, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended for: men in a mid life crisis. men thinking about their midlife crisis.
Read in May, 2008

So, I'm running a book discussion on this book, and it was the Long Island Reads pick of the year. I'm not completely sure of how I felt about it. Jerry Battle is retired from the family business, and spends his time as a part time travel agent and bought himself a little recreational plane.
There are a lot of things that happen, and there are a lot of people who Jerry imagines surrounding him--orbitting him. He is the center of the book, and the center of his own universe (as I guess we all are--and yet I hold it against hime). He seemed a little self indulgent or self-satisfied or something selfish. But, since I react so strongly to him, maybe it is a triumph on the author's part that I am so cranky about his character. Who knows? My coworker loved this book, and in a sort of condescending way explained that maybe I needed to achieve middle age before I could respect the man who is Jerry Battle and his story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aloft.