Julie's Reviews > The Mischief of the Mistletoe

The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig

F 50x66
Nov 22, 2010

Read in November, 2010

It takes an incredibly gifted author to take unimportant people with serious flaws, keep them true to character, and still make the reader sit up and cheer for them. I loved this book. It is so nice to be able to recommend a book without sex, horror, or anything else to qualify how and why I liked it.

In Mischief of the Mistletoe, Reggie "Turnip" Fitzhugh finally gets his romantic turn. He has been a comic foil in most of the other Pink Carnation books. He has been presented as a clueless fop, but entirely good natured. He is still a little clueless, and the author doesn't make his a secret genius or change his character, but you do find out that his apparent lack of understanding is more a matter of what he is and isn't interested in remembering, rather than an ability to remember. He has used his bumbling deliberately a time or two to further the cause of the pink Carnation, but he neither takes pride in that, nor finds it particularly important. He is just a completely guileless character who finally runs into (literally) his true love. I like Arabella, the heroine, too. She is a girl whose hair isn't golden, or flaxen, or russet, it is just hair color, and her eyes are not the color of the sky or the sea or anything else romantic, they are just regular blue. She is used to being overlooked, and has no expectations or anxiety about changing her status. But she recognizes what a priceless thing a man without a fake bone in his body is, and stands up for Turnip when others don't even bother to veil their criticisms.

If you like dry British humor, lots of character building, and a little intrigue and a good deal of romance I recommend this book. There are a couple of hot kisses, but no sex scenes (What a relief) and lots of humor. I laughed out loud too many times to count while reading. It takes a lot to do that. But there is no argument that you have to appreciate this particular type of humor, or you won't find it as funny as I did. The humor is totally wrapped up in what is not said outright, but implied in the character development through dialogue and the character's thoughts.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mischief of the Mistletoe.

message 1: by Joan (new)

Joan Sounds like a fun read. I'll have to see if its available.