Crystal's Reviews > Cryer's Cross

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Feb 11, 11

bookshelves: arc, for-review, read-nov-2010

What a thrill-ride. I was sucked right into this book from the beginning and who wouldn't be. It starts with a missing girl in a small town and a girl who is OCD trying to come to terms with that and herself as a new school year begins.

I liked Kendall, I'm not familiar with OCD personally, have seen instances of it on tv, but no one that I know of has it, so I found this to be interesting that the main character of the book has it. It was interesting to see how she deals with that and life. I liked the small town feel of the book. Cryer's Cross is tiny, has all of it's high school grades in one class and everyone knows each other and helps each other out. Jacien is new in town and seems aloof and hard to get to know at first, but when the second teenager goes missing, Jacien starts to play a bigger role. I really liked him as well, he was hot of course, but there was something more to him in the book. He was moody but a good soul and it made him likeable even when he really wasn't.

The storyline kept me intrigued. It was like YA horror with teen angst, good parents and a small town built in. I really enjoyed the book and was so into it I could read it in the room with my husband and two kids who were watching tv at the time. It was that interesting to me. I felt like I was in Cryer's Cross and looking at Jacien and Kendall and the other members of the community.

I also liked Kendall's parents, they were involved in her life for the most part. They knew her comings and goings and who she was running around with and I liked that. Kendall also had a respect for her parents that is lacking in a lot of books, so I feel those were positive things that added to the story for me as an adult. I think the teenage crowd will relate as well. It's not a perfect relationship, but it does seem to be a healthy one.

My only complaints were the book was a little choppy. That may have been smoothed out in the final copy a and it may just be me. Some of the events were a little jarring and I felt it jumped around some. Did that detract from the overall story - no, not really. I still loved every minute of the book. It's an entertaining and quick read. I really wish this type of book had been around when I was a teenager.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cryer's Cross.