David Natiuk's Reviews > Who Moved My Cheese?

Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson

Dec 03, 10

bookshelves: business, philosophy
Read in November, 2010

Worthless! Stupid! Irrelevant!
This was a best-seller? Are you kidding me? You can hardly even call this a book, with 98 pages in large font and a host of "revelatory" quotes taking up their own page.

Let me sum up this book for you:
"Change happens. When it does, the BEST thing to do is accept it and go find something better than what you had."

There, now you don't even need to waste the hour it takes to read this irrelevant, fanciful tale of mice & small humans finding cheese in a maze (aka. fulfillment in the world). The analogy is an attempt at making the story memorable, but is so simplistic it doesn't hold any real truths for our world anymore. It's not even who MOVED the cheese, but really... WHAT HAPPENED to my cheese!

It's even poorly written, with everybody "laughing" at themselves for no reason whatsover. I simply found myself angry at the stupidity of it all, with supposedly important truths being revealed as writings on the wall. Ugh!

Yes, we know we need to learn to adapt to change, but to blindly accept that there is always something better out there and that you need to roll with all punches thrown your way is demeaning to real people. Might work in a book, but it doesn't work in life.

The only reason I think this was a best-seller was because corporations bought the book in quantity to hand out to their employees in a vapid attempt at making them feel better for getting laid-off and downsized!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Moved My Cheese?.