Jean's Reviews > All Aunt Hagar's Children

All Aunt Hagar's Children by Edward P. Jones

Nov 24, 2010

bookshelves: short-stories
Read from November 22 to 24, 2010

I loved this book of short stories. Although there were fourteen stories, they were not cookie cutter stories. It definitely did not feel like you were reading the same story over and over as some short story compilations do. Not only were the main characters strong but the secondary characters were given meaningful roles also. A couple of these stories have stuck with me. I think this is the first of Jones' writing that I have tried and I will definitely try other of his works.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Aunt Hagar's Children.

02/02 marked as: read

message 1: by jo (new)

jo brava!!!!!!!!!!

Jean I took the poll that Mina started and found some gems. This is oneof them. I checked it out of the library yesterfay and hace read a great deal of the book.

message 3: by jo (new)

jo i heard it is one of the all-time short story collections gems. i don't remember if you ever got around to read Before You Suffocate, and if you liked it.

Jean I am on the wait-list at the library. I'm number 2 so some time this week. I saw that you gave it rave reviews so I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I have had this book on my shelf at home for years. I need to read it because I love Jones's writing sytle from the Known World.

Jean Vern, I loved these stories and think it would be well worth your time to pull it from the shelf.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Well there you have it I'm pulling it!! Along with the Darkest Child...read that one?

Wilhelmina Jenkins Love, love, love this book! The last story, with the young woman moving north, is my mother and the mothers of everyone I knew growing up. His stories are just amazing.

Jean Mina, I totally agaree with you. I really enjoyed this book.

message 10: by Jean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jean Vern,
I did read the Darkest Child but only rated it 2 stars. For the life of me, I can't remember what didn't appeal to me.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Jean wrote: "Mina, I totally agaree with you. I really enjoyed this book."

Wilhelmina wrote: "Love, love, love this book! The last story, with the young woman moving north, is my mother and the mothers of everyone I knew growing up. His stories are just amazing."

OK you ladies are really going to make me read this over the holiday weekend!

message 12: by Jean (last edited Nov 24, 2010 09:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jean It will be your dessert after eating all day tomorrow.

message 13: by Jean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jean Vern, I think The Darkest Child may have had child abuse in it and I don't do well with those books.

message 14: by jo (new)

jo i am not a fan of child abuse, either, or rape (won't read it or watch it, quite simply), but i have half a mind of checking this Darkest Child book out.