Sandralee's Reviews > In the Sanctuary of Outcasts

In the Sanctuary of Outcasts by Neil White

Nov 26, 10

Recommended to Sandralee by: My cousin, Bill Shivers
Recommended for: my book club.
Read from November 22 to 26, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: once

** spoiler alert ** I'd recommend this book to other readers. I did not know about Carville, LA, a leprosarium, which at one time was also a prison. It is an interesting read. In addition to reading about the disease and its history, it was interesting to read how such a successful young man cheated his investors of thousands and thousands of dollars. It is a poignant story about Neil White's one year stay when he is convicted. He enters Carville with no idea that it is a prison and a leper colony.

The colorful characters Neil encounters, gets to know and comes to love at this leprosarium/prison are well-developed. The title gives one an idea of how the story will inevitably end, but it has twists and turns that give dimension to the story.

Neil admits he wants to change when his life hits bottom. He readily admits he doesn't know if he can rid himself of his selfishness and ambition. It is an account of redemption and hope. I didn't think I'd find myself laughing out loud when I read a book about a man convicted of a white-collar crime serving time in a facility that housed Hanson's Disease patients and criminals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Sanctuary of Outcasts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sandralee I am in the middle of this. My cousin recommended it to me, so I took his word. I thought it would be very hard to read about a leper colony/prison. I won't say it is enjoyable, but it is enlightening. White's character development is what it's all about. By the way, he is an inmate, not a patient. I'm hoping he finds redemption through relationships with these patients and other inmates before the end of the book.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Lipton sounds good to me. "the pearl diver" - also about a leprosarium - was a recent favorite of mine.