Rika's Reviews > Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Nov 23, 2010

bookshelves: books-that-make-your-day
Read in September, 2010

This play was fantastic.

When I first read it I hated it. It was for my english literature class and I was thinking how the hell am I supposed to write about this it is just a load of banter. For the first time in my life I was happy that we studied it at school and got dissect it because when you do it makes the play that more amazing.
It's a fairly straightforward play it tell's you things explicitly especially relating to our own mortality. But the characters in the play make it an everyman's play because we have all felt like rosen and guil at some point insignificant or as my teacher say's "another brick in the wall". The constant state of confusion is irritating at times and you want to yell at the rosen and guil to do something. I read somewhere its an intellectual play, and in many ways it it.
The word play is fantastic and when you see it in action ( ie play or movie) it is even more thrilling. Stoppard is nothing short of a genius , I can't believe I ever said how the hell did he win a tony.
So I highly recommend this play but don't just read it. Watch it too, otherwise it's really not as great as it should be. The movie helped me fall in love with this play. It ultimately reflects the human condition.

I leave you with my favourite quote from rosen
" we must be born with an intitution of mortality....that of all the compasses in the world there is only one direction and times is it's only measure"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.