Rachel's Reviews > A Thousand Cuts

A Thousand Cuts by Simon Lelic

Nov 28, 10

bookshelves: reads-of-2010, mystery-and-suspense, realistic-fiction, read-from-library, reviewed
Recommended for: Anyone
Read from November 21 to 27, 2010, read count: 1

The writing style of this novel was very refreshing. Just about each chapter is someone else talking to Lucia, a homicide detective. Lucia's questions to the witnesses are families are rarely recorded in this novel, but it does not make it hard to follow at all. Leaving the authority- Lucia- out of the testimonials makes the novel edgy and raw. The testimonials seem more raw and emotional this way. I also liked how Lelic took a controversial issue in our schools today and showed us what can happen because of it. Bullying will always happen, but ignoring it and letting it get out of hand can lead to drastic consequences, including school shootings.

I felt sorry for every character in here, the shooter, victims, and bullies alike. No one deserved to be treated like they were, including Lucia. She even faced some bullying by her department, regardless of the case they were working on. Ironic, if you ask me.

Lastly, this book takes place in London and the language and spellings let you know that. It was weird at first to see words normally spelled with a "z" here in the United States spelled with a "s" in the novel. Example: recognised for recognized. Every once in a while I would catch myself thinking, "Oh dear, they spelled that wrong!" :)

For a first novel, Simon Lelic did very well. I will be keeping my eye out for more. Cannot wait to see what he can come up with next.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Cuts.

11/21/2010 page 15
5.0% "Really sad book. I don't see it looking up either..."
show 1 hidden update…