Virginia's Reviews > The Lost Gate

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: speculative-fiction, contain-ideas-that-have-stuck-w-me, read-2011
Recommended for: Sarah Poon, Adam Heine
Read from January 05 to 06, 2011, read count: 1

As always, what really sparkles in Card's books is his sarcastic and witty dialog. The rhythm of his words as his characters insult (with great affection) each other is always a highlight to me. That said, I enjoyed the book although I felt that a lot of it was a set-up for the later books. It's understandable since there is a lot of worldbuilding going on and a magic system that takes time to explain.

That's the other thing. I felt as if I could see the workings behind Card's thinking as he was writing the book. I don't know if it's because I've been reading a lot of articles on writing lately or whatever, but it seemed as if I glimpsed behind the curtain a bit and that kinda threw me out of the moment. However, overall, I'm glad I read it and it ended satisfactorily and I am looking forward to the next. (Just not with baited breath like some other sequels I'm waiting for.)

ETA: It's been 11 months since I read this book and for some reason, almost every other morning when I feed my toddler his oatmeal breakfast, I think of this book. I keep remembering (vaguely) a scene where Danny is talking to the couple who "adopted" him and he is saying how all the mundane daily things they did for him made him feel as if he were part of a family and that is what taught him what love is. I am completely butchering the scene (or of what I recall).

I keep returning to this moment because sometimes, feeding my toddler his oatmeal can be difficult, but I believe that the daily ritual of feeding him and caring for him is an embodiment of love. I seriously have to re-read this book just to have a better understanding of why it sticks in my mind so vividly. Therefore, simply because it has had such a profound impact (although, much stupider sounding now that I've written it out), I am adding a star, thus making it a 4 star book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Gate.

01/05/2011 page 58
14.0% "Well, this is off to an awesome start. I love Card!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I feel like I'm getting a bit frustrated reading whole books that are just setups for a series. I may wait on this one.

Virginia It wasn't as bad as I made it sound. There is definitely a self-contained storyline (two, in fact) that was interesting and I definitely enjoyed the characters. There is no huge cliffhanger or whatever. It's like the beginning of the Harry Potter series. Much lighter than it eventually will become, I'm sure.

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Everything's part of a trilogy or series nowadays. It's harder to find a stand alone novel. lol

Virginia Especially in speculative fiction. (For fantasy, they're sometimes, seven or more!)

message 5: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Yeah, YA fantasy/romance is like that, too. I guess it's easier to create characters once.

message 6: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana Wow, that scene has impacted you on a deep level! It could also be a trained reaction, since you now associate it with the act of feeding your little boy. Scenes from novels return to me often. Just yesterday I was thinking of a moment in Belong to Me about apple slices. Sometimes you can't predict what will stick with you.