Brenda Audiobooks Only's Reviews > Sylvester

Sylvester by Georgette Heyer

Narrated by Richard Armitage - Narration 5+*

The narration of this abridged audiobook was outstanding, I loved it.

The abridgement of this book hurt it for me because to my mind it consisted of one "big misunderstanding" after another, not being a fan of that formula I ultimately didn't care for this in it's abridged format. There were good parts throughout though so maybe someday I'll revisit in unabridged?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sylvester.

Carrie I wonder if the abridgement puts the "big misunderstandings" into sharper relief? Abridged books are like two hour movies, they simply can't do a book justice. ;-) there's an older full length recording of this book by Eve Matheson that you can't get in the US which is wonderful. But then, I'm definitely prejudice when it comes to Heyer on audio. I love it all. ;-)

Brenda Audiobooks Only Devil's Cub was my first audio go with Heyer, I had listened for three hours and the couple hadn't even met yet ... so I thought I'd go with abridged for more instant gratification. ;)

Starting Sylvester with the heroine "thinking" Sylvester was coming to offer for her hand instead of just to meet her was OK as it set up the section I really enjoyed where Sylvester caught up to them at the inn and was so everyday guy and respectful of everyone no matter their station in life.

Tom was my favorite character as he always laid it on the line.

My cousin assures me I will enjoy the Richard Armitage / Venetia combo.

I also have both the unabridged and abridged versions of The Convenient Marriage, so that's where I'll be able to do a real comparison to see what all I'm missing. :)

message 3: by Carrie (last edited Jul 01, 2011 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carrie If you do The Convenient Marriage comparison let me know what you think. I love Venetia and I can't imagine shortening it! The whole point of Heyer's books (for me) is the language and the characters. The characters are generally much more circumspect and less overt in their actions and in their personality than most of the characters from more recently written historical romances. Even though Heyer isn't Austen, there is a similarity in the way the reader has to pay attention and unravel the characters and motivations, instead of knowing right off the bat thaa this is "the rakish gentleman that won't ever settle down, until he meets the heroine that is, and then he'll be brought to his knees with her independence, smart mouth and 21st Century attitudes." ;-)