Suzanne Lazear's Reviews > The Girl in the Steel Corset

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

May 11, 11

Read from April 01 to 12, 2011

Hot damn that was good. I really loved all the classic lit references. Lots of action, a little love, twists and turns. Yeah. I'd read it again. Can't wait for the next. (I don't give stars as a personal rule, but if I did, I've give it alot)

~Review below posted at Steamed -- ageofsteam.wordpress.com ~

The Girl in the Steel Corset is steampunk YA by debut YA author Kady Cross (who’s written historical romance for adults under the name Kate Smith)

I love this book. I love this book so much it’s hard to come up with something beyond hot damn, this book kicks ass.

Which it does.

Why do I love this book so much?

Let’s start with the cover. Can I tell you how much I love this new cover trend with the girls in amazing dresses. I want that dress.

One of my favorite things about this book is how there’s a collage of cogs and gears on every chapter page. It’s such a neat detail that adds to the ambiance
of the book.

The gadgets and tech are seamlessly woven into the worldbuilding (as it should be). The story is fun, fast-paced, and original, yet pulls from classics. I love that we have the “Jekyll and Hyde” mythos with a female protag. Findlay Jane is a badass, and I do love me a strong, unusual heroine.

But this is far, far more than a classic retelling. That’s just one thread that makes up the rich tapestry that is this story.
Findlay Jane is only one of the teen characters in this story and most of them have unusual abilities, like X-Men, only set in an alternate version of Victorian London with automatons and my personal favorite, the aethernet. There’s Griffin, the handsome leader, and patron of the bunch. Sam, his best friend, and Emily, the inventor of the bunch who makes much of the gadgets–including Findlay’s steel corset. Together the four of them must work to catch the Machinist, who’s seeks to use automatons to further his dastardly scheme–with a little help from an American Cowboy named Jasper, and Jack Dandy, lord of the underground.

Aside from the mystery and adventure, there’s a bit of romance as Findlay is torn between Griff and Jack. You want to root for Griff, because he is this kind and loyal lord who tries to control his own abilities, protect his friends, and do due diligence to his father’s legacy. But at the same time Jack is so tempting, because who doesn’t love a rogue with a sensitive side?

All and all, this was a great read full of twists and turns. Kady Cross has her Steampunk worldbuilding spot on. Though this is YA, I think adults will enjoy this just as much and it will appeal both to Steampunk fans and those new to the genre.

So, when do I get to read the next one?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Steel Corset.

04/01/2011 page 150