Larissa's Reviews > The Chalk Circle Man

The Chalk Circle Man by Fred Vargas

20698
Sorry to say, but I'm giving up on this one. I've heard good things about Fred Vargas (and love that Fred is a female author who has also made a career in archeology and as a historian), but the characters in this book, though eccentric and drawn in detail, did not engage me enough to distract from the fact that the investigation is really rather stagnant. The comissaire's investigation into the so-called "Chalk Circle Man" is preemptive, and then a series of coincidences put him in close contact with someone who may or may not have met the man (and also is the mother of his long-lost lover?).

Perhaps I'll try another Vargas in the future (this is the first in the series), and perhaps the plot all comes together dramatically at the end, but I was about half way through and just not getting anything out of the book. So another one for the incomplete pile...I do try to avoid not finishing as much as possible, but sometimes, I just have to call it early.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chalk Circle Man.

06/13/2016 marked as: read