Felicia's Reviews > Zelda's Cut

Zelda's Cut by Philippa Gregory

May 10, 12

Read from May 01 to 08, 2012

** spoiler alert ** A chapter in I thought "this is going to be really good," but then, despite the multitude of strange things happening, the story fell flat. What could have been a novel that truly explored a woman slowly awakening her hidden desires was nothing more than a mask for a book about sexual taboos. As a woman in her 50's who has only been with one man and who is know for her moral character, I would expect an affair of a "normal" nature to create much inner struggle, yet this affair which is filled with any number of sexual taboos is entered into easily and with little or no guilt.

Supporting my thoughts that this was nothing more than a book about strange sex was the ending. While Isobel's choice to run off to Murray should have allowed us a look into her choice to lead a life free of her moral confines were were instead given no reason at all. We were simply left with the fact that she left her once mundane life for one that is presumed to be more sexually daring.

Perhaps if the book was advertised as its was written I would have given it a better rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zelda's Cut.