MaggieReadsRom's Reviews > A Pirate's Possession

A Pirate's Possession by Michelle Beattie

Apr 26, 11

bookshelves: fv-guestreview, historical
Read from December 08, 2010 to January 04, 2011

Nate Carter is ruthless and cunning. He learned at an early age to fend for himself and circumstances have led him to sailing the seas as the pirate Sam Steele. I must honestly admit that Nate had to grow on me as in the beginning I found him a bit harsh and rude towards Claire, but once I learned his back-story I totally warmed up to him.

Claire Gentry has also learned that the only one she can count on is herself. She’s tenacious, self-reliant, defiant and a fighter. Posing as a boy when she leaves her duplicitous marriage, she’s forced to survive on her own. On the hunt for independence she enters a poker game for a treasure map. However, the treasure map is not what she ends up with after the game.

Nate and Claire are forced to team up and go in search of a long-lost treasure, a treasure of which the map played an important role in their past. With the villain, who’s after the same treasure, in hot pursuit the childhood friends already have enough on their plate. But there’s also the matter of the young love they once shared and that was damaged when Nate abandoned Claire and Claire married someone else. Once upon a time they were best friends and each other's first love but meddling, misunderstanding, circumstances and betrayal has turned them adversaries in the hunt for a treasure that will change their lives forever.

It's been a serious while since I read a pirate-themed historical romance. So long that I don't even exactly remember when I did but I'm sure it was before I started reading my romance novels in English so at least 4 years ago. Reading A PIRATE'S POSSESSION I was reminded of how much I liked the pirate-themed historicals when I was younger: the adventure, the excitement, the danger, they all attribute to the romance in a unique way.

A PIRATE’S POSSESSION is written in an engaging style. Soon I was immersed in both the search for the treasure and the romance between Nate and Claire. Both were balanced out perfectly and I was thoroughly entertained. I really liked the dynamics between Claire and Nate and enjoyed watching the sparks fly every time they engaged in a battle of wits. The internal conflict between them is the age-old: she thinks he abandoned her and left her to fend for herself and with no choice but to marry a horrible man. He is angry and feels betrayed that she didn't wait for him as she promised. During the search for the treasure they start to reluctantly talk about it and slowly they come to understand each other’s point of view and take responsibility for their part in their conflict.

I also loved the secondary cast in this book and how Michelle Beattie incorporated them into the story of Nate and Claire. The different POVs from some secondary characters, including the villain's, kept it fresh and fast-paced, yet it never felt rushed.
It’s obvious that this book is one of a series as there’s some back-story that hints at the previous books and I must say that I am very tempted to get the first two books just to read the stories they are talking about in this one. However because I’ve read this book and know something that’s going to happen, I’m reluctant to do so.

The punch was in the end of the story. The conclusion was fast-paced, emotional and fitting and I enjoyed reading a pirate romance after so many years. It has sparked my wish to read more of them now. So if you like pirate-themed historicals, definitely check out Michelle Beattie’s pirates.

Favorite Quote:
He wanted to tear off the shirt, rip open the undershirt, and feast, both with his eyes and his hands. Then, if there were a God, his tongue.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pirate's Possession.

12/08/2010 page 0
12/13/2010 page 25
8.0% "I love scenes where the heroine draws a pistol on the hero :)"
show 2 hidden updates…