Bettyann's Reviews > Cooking Green: Reducing Your Carbon Footprint in the Kitchen

Cooking Green by Kate Heyhoe

Nov 21, 2010

bookshelves: cooking, environmental, recipes
Read in November, 2010

I read this book a while back and then picked it up at the library again, forgetting that I'd alread read it. Several pages into it, I remembered. But I must have not paid attention the first time, because now what the author wrote was getting through to me. Perhaps because I'd gotten on board in my own life more fully with these environmental issues, especially in my own kitchen, the book now spoke to me in a big way.

My favorite part of the book is the discussion on cooking utensils--pots and pans and stoves and toaster ovens. With fuel usage in mind, this author made it clear to me what I could save by choosing to use the right cookware and appliances. Since I'd recently come to the conclusion that every little bit each individual can do toward a better environment, I appreciated this book's information.

I enjoyed reading the recipe section, as I love reading cookbooks in general. I like to enhance my meals by adding new ways and ingredients I learn from other cooks. It keeps life more appetizing. I've always loved to cook new dishes, and Cooking Green has a good amount of these I've adopted, to my family's delight.

I recommend reading the book if you're interested in learning how to make your kitchen "green," and doing your part in cooling down the environment a bit, as well as whipping up wholesome and nutrient-rich food to eat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cooking Green.