Patrick Gibson's Reviews > The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values

The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris

Nov 21, 10

bookshelves: truth_sort-of
Read in November, 2010

You’re preaching to the choir Sam (big fan, by the way). Yet again you have brilliantly provided insight into morality, religion, and ccience. While this book is less about religion, it is never too far away from his argument. Basically, you do not need religion to be moral and we should not be afraid to admit science can provide a moral compass. We have become a society that allows any possible belief to be valid and worth discussing and worse, we are so afraid to say something is truly wrong or right. Murder not in self defense is always wrong. Molesting children is always wrong, yet we have a Religious sect in America called the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (FLDS) which was run by Warren Jeffs. We can not call this a Religion when they oppress woman, children, molest and engage in sexual intercourse with Children, often discussed murdering people in the name of God if they did not conform to all of the FLDS rules. We should not allow any group to be wrapped under a Religious blanket and be untouchable. The pure scientific method is always searching for the truth even if it results in an answer we do not want to hear. Science does not torture, kill or intimidate people in order to conform to its world views yet all religions do to some degree (oh come one, you know that’s true). We do not need religion to be moral...as a matter of fact it should attempt to be so—science can give us moral values as a compass base. It does not take away from disagreements on many topics and important issues. The thing is, we have to move beyond the basic issues of right and wrong. Here the argument is laid before us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moral Landscape.