Kristi-The Book Faery's Reviews > Wings of the Wicked

Wings of the Wicked by Courtney Allison Moulton

Feb 19, 12

bookshelves: angel-books, arc, arc-atwt, demons, written-reviews, ya-pnr-2012, ya-series
Read in February, 2012

THE FAERYS VIEW

The second installment of the Angelfire series, Wings of the Wicked (WotW) by Courtney Allison Moulton was full of angsty forbidden love between Preliator Ellie and her Guardian, Will and shockingly an almost love triangle. Although they have century’s worth of time and memories between them, Ellie still hasn’t quite recovered her memory of her past lives as Archangel Gabriel who is reborn again and again to fight the reapers and all the evil they bring.

First off, Will is one of the most endearing and patient of males I’ve ever seen in a YA PNR, yes, he takes his guardianship of Ellie extremely serious but he also has the big time forever love for her. Despite the ‘cozy situations’ they get in, Will is always patient and stops on a dime, waiting until Ellie is ready to commit to him. This is where the whole forbidden love comes in: If Gabriel’s brother, Archangel Michael were to find out that there were anything less than a platonic relationship between Ellie and Will, the sentence would be death for Will. Interestingly, this is kind of a big deal in the beginning of the book but as the pages go on, it really isn’t mentioned much. I’m not sure why but it seemed to become a non-existent issue. The things Will does for Ellie outside of his guardian duties are sweet and even though some of the things he does are pretty far outside the scope of his comfort level, he does these things for her happiness.

Then there is Cadan, remember him from Angelfire-the sexy demonic reaper who was just a tad on the evil side? Well, he’s baaacck and giving Will a serious run for his money. It seems that Cadan’s devilishly sexy thoughts about Ellie may be changing to actual love i.e. genuine smiles, sad eyes, warm looks, a sparkle to his eyes etc… you get the picture, he even warns her about Bastian’s nefarious plans but can Ellie trust him? There’s certainly an element of attraction there and maybe Cadan is taking a look at becoming a less evil demonic reaper… stranger things have happened! There’s nothing like being in love with a beautiful girl/Archangel to make a demon change from beheading and disemboweling his enemies to actually helping them!

Ellie has grown some in WotW but I must say that I was a bit disappointed in her consistent lack of fighting skills. She’s the Preliator, man! She is the only one that can wield Angelfire yet she still seems to hide behind Will. I just wish she would really start to do some booty kicking! I know she can do it but it seems like all she does is move to slow or cower behind Will. With that being said, I really like Ellie as a character, truly, I do. She is faithful to the cause, brave in the face of adversity (just not the best fighter) and her heart is in the right place. Ellie is determined to live as normal of a life as possible while still maintaining her Preliator duties; she remains in school, goes to parties in which she drags Will to despite his discomfort and hangs with her friends. It doesn’t take long before she realizes that having a normal life is going to put those she loves in danger.

Throughout the book, Courtney keeps the action on high octane; fighting reapers while out patrolling, attacks by the reapers, and so much more. There’s also a fair amount of romance and Ellie finds she has more than just Will as an admirer. Then there is some great sadness in the book as a well loved characters leave us much too soon which caused me a few sniffles and maybe a sob or three…

Courtney does a fantastic job creating characters that interact and mesh perfectly to fit the plot, I had no trouble identifying with all the characters including the secondary’s who I felt played an important part in making WotW such a fantastic read. I am fascinated with the biblical mythology that Courtney has created especially how she has made the distinctions between the fallen along with the descriptions of the Demons and Archangels; Ellie’s recollections of the many large bloody battles fought over the eons between good and evil put things in perspective for her, it's something she will do just about anything to avoid happening again.

THE FAERY SAYS WINGS OF THE WICKED IS AS GOOD AS FAERY-FRUIT WINE!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings of the Wicked.