Book Concierge's Reviews > Twelve Sharp

Read in November, 2010

Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich
Audio book narrated by Lorelei King
4****

I had gotten a bit tired of this series so stopped a couple of years ago. However, when looking for a new audio book for my daily commute, I came across a couple of the Stephanie Plum series and decided to give them a go. I’m glad I did.

Stephanie is up to her usual adventures as a not-too-successful bounty enforcement agent. Vinnie’s out of town, so she, Lula and Connie are left managing the bail bonds office on their own. The plot takes here focuses on Ranger and his private life, and we learn a lot more about him. It all starts when a woman dressed all in black, driving a black “range-mobile” SUV comes to the office and introduces herself as “Mrs. Carlos Manoso” (i.e. Ranger’s wife). She doesn’t appreciate Stephanie putting the moves on her husband, and isn’t about to take Stephanie’s word for it that she and Ranger are only business colleagues.

Stephanie tries to ignore her, but something isn’t quite right here. Ranger has left town and he isn’t answering his phone. When a body is discovered things get dangerous quickly, and now Stephanie finds herself looking for a murderer, not just a skip.

Of course there is the usual tension between Stephanie, Morelli, and Ranger. And it wouldn’t be a Plum mystery without the usual weirdos and inept criminals, not to mention Grandma Mazur’s trip to the funeral home (they should know by now to weld the casket shut).

Lorelei King is a wonderful voice artist, and her reading really added to my enjoyment. My only quarrel with this audio CD is that it begins and ends with an annoyingly sweet music backdrop. PUH-LEEZ! This is Joisey, not a Midwestern church ladies meeting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twelve Sharp.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sidna (new)

Sidna Thanks for this review, Tessa. I stopped reading this quite a while ago, too. I was in the middle of one of them and decided I didn't want to read another word. I would like to know more about Ranger's background though so I may pick this one up. Why don't Stephanie and Morelli just get married?

Book Concierge Sidna wrote: "Thanks for this review, Tessa. I stopped reading this quite a while ago, too. I was in the middle of one of them and decided I didn't want to read another word. I would like to know more about Rang..."

There's an interview with Evanovich at the end of the CD. She talks about the "love triangle" and whether she'll resolve it .. ever. Basically she likens it to the sexual tension that was present in the TV show "Moonlighting" (which I never saw). Once the characters finally "did it" the tension was gone and fans left the show. She (and her publishers) doesn't want this to happen to the series. But I agree, it should probably end, as it isn't really fresh any more. They're still good for a giggle now and again.