Kwesi 章英狮's Reviews > Northanger Abbey

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Apr 04, 11

bookshelves: owned, jane-austen, 2011
Read from March 25 to April 03, 2011

This is my second Austen book and I really enjoyed it. Yes, I enjoyed it but there are parts that bore me to death, like trying to force me down to bed. I enjoyed how Austen wrote every conversation the characters trying to deliver, they are graceful, with intent and very unique. I'm not used the way they speak and maybe if somebody heard me talking like Catherine maybe people will laugh at me or get annoyed easily. But one thing that really attract me most was Austen's Catherine, she's not girly like the other girls and by reading her text you can usually identify her from the other main characters, she's not flirtatious, she likes gothic books and a funny little girl. For short, she's just an ordinary girl in our generation.

Northanger Abbey delights me most but not as best as Emma, both books were written beautifully by a lady through her experiences although from her writings she also included a true manner of a true woman in their time. I don't know if those manners were still applicable in the present. I know some guys don't like Austen but I think most of them liked it, because of the protagonists that ideally loved by man, in my own opinion.

As I said before, sometimes I get bore reading this book. Not intentionally but there are parts that I'm not particular with, especially when you are reading books that composed of almost conversation of the characters in the story. But over-all, it was an awesome book. Austen will tour you to the dark world and her short fancy imagination through Northanger Abbey.

Catherine, a 17 year old girl who lives with her father, a clergyman, and a mother who taught her everything she needed to be, a loyal sister to her brother, a tomboy, a normal pretty girl and very vulgar lady of her age. She was invited by her neighbor to come to Bath to have a short vacation with them while having fun partying with the other socialites or maybe some people who only wanted her own material belongings. She met a sarcastic but clever man named Henry Tilney, she fall in love easily. She also met a very fine lady, Isabella Thorpe and soon she develop a very tight friendship with her. In the story both character develop a special relationship, sharing their desires and their fond of gothic stories.

When Catherine discovered the feelings of Isabella to her brother James. She was in a great joy to accept such delightful engagement. Unfortunately, all secrets revealed when her brother told her that Isabella only wanted to marry her because of their wealth. Such distasteful attitude of her put Catherine to realization to grow and to become a fine lady.

She was invited to stay to Tilney's place and met several characters that scares her, touches her and suddenly change her feelings to gothic novel. Such funny verdict and being childish made her world go round like somebody is trying to pull her spirit down. What's next, well, is it you readers that will discover everything before I spoil the treasure and the dark secret of the Northanger Abbey. What really happened to Catherine, well, that's made her happy in the end.

Austen wrote the ending in a hurry, I don't have any idea why, but the narrator already explained everything what happened to Catherine after her visit. It was like reading a summary of the ending and that disappoints me a lot but never fails the readers to enjoy it. If we consider the main characters age and the conclusion of the story, this book can be categorize as YA. Its publication date might be too old but the story always glow inside out.

[image error]
That manipulative girl, I really hate Isabella for owning the heart of Catherine . Well, that made the novel unique in some point, the antagonist always plays a large role in the story. But still, I really hate her! She's a wore! Please, don't mind the bad words I used.

Rating - Northanger Abber by Jane Austen, 4 Sweets and the dark corner of Northange Abbey. (Guys before reading this book, I recommend that you need to read some gothic book mentioned in the novel like The Mysteries of Udolpho and The Italian by Ann Radcliffe. Catheirne was an epic in the end! Jeez, how can Austen wrote such epicness in an epic situation, such a parody.)

Challenges:
Book #55 for 2011
Book #33 for Off the Shelf!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Northanger Abbey.

03/25/2011 page 34
13.0% "I already read half of the book but the introduction occupied 1/4 of it! So far, I really like how Austen described the characters."
03/26/2011 page 101
40.0% "I fall asleep while reading the middle part of the book. I don't know why I get bored easily but I really like the beginning."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Regine YES! I love this book. Hope you enjoy it.

Regine I was just going to say how much i loved this book. but oops, already done!

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, don't worry I also love this book!

message 4: by Rollie (new)

Rollie I won't try to read this one. :D

Kwesi 章英狮 I'll kill you, swear read at least one of Austen works! I recommend Emma.

message 6: by Capsguy (new)

Capsguy Would love to, but don't read anything written by women :D

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, that's the reason why we only have few in common, I mean the books. Hikhik.

Regine Glad you liked it. I need to reread this one too.

message 9: by Rollie (new)

Rollie I'll let you kill me.

message 10: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Apr 04, 2011 05:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 Regine, You should and maybe next time, I need to reread Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, my first and least favorite among her works.

Kwesi 章英狮 Rollie, don't worry before I kill you I need you to suffer the pain of not reading Austen. Bwahaha.

Regine Pride and Prejudice is my favourite Austen work, but I also really enjoyed Emma.

message 13: by Rollie (new)

Rollie i don't think i'll suffer.

Kwesi 章英狮 Rollie, why?

Regine, I didn't finish Pride and Prejudice because I really bore to death while watching a basketball game and I more enjoyed watching the game than reading the book. Haha.

message 15: by Rollie (new)

Rollie it's a pleasure not to read her works. joke. hahaha

message 16: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Apr 04, 2011 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 Rollie, I don't like to repeat what I've said before. Haha.

message 17: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink Capsguy wrote: "Would love to, but don't read anything written by women :D"

Curious! Why?

Kwesi 章英狮 Velvetink, good question, from reading his About Me. He only read male-authored books and World War 2 related stuff. Mmm.

message 19: by Capsguy (new)

Capsguy World War 2 related stuff?

Kwesi 章英狮 I mean WWII books. Haha, I see but when will you start reading other books beside those 1950's books?

message 21: by Velvetink (new)

Velvetink Capsguy wrote: "World War 2 related stuff?

Pretty much things written prior to the 1950's. It's nothing but a choice I made about a year ago from a literature website I'm a member of that I don't want to go back on."

But why not female authors?

Regine Hey Rollie, don't hate until you try :)

message 23: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Haha. I'm just joking!!!!!! I'll try her works. (someday)

Kwesi 章英狮 Regine, it wasn't a joke, he's trying to deceive you! Haha, kidding.

message 25: by Rollie (new)

Rollie baliw. :D

Kwesi 章英狮 Rollie, :P

message 27: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Don't forget on April 8--Xenocide.

Kwesi 章英狮 Rollie, Fine, another Orson again. Poor Kwesi. Hehe.

message 29: by Rollie (new)

Rollie lol. We have to read subtle knife also. :D

Kwesi 章英狮 Rollie, ok lang, since I really enjoyed the first book.

message 31: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Nice.. Don't worry. Once I see a copy of either Jodi's or Jane's work, I'll suffer reading it too. :DD

Kwesi 章英狮 Seriously? Haha.

message 33: by Rollie (new)

Rollie Don't I sound serious? haha

message 34: by jzhunagev (new)

jzhunagev This review made me realize that I really must read Jane Austen then.

Regine jzhunagev wrote: "This review made me realize that I really must read Jane Austen then."

message 36: by jzhunagev (new)

jzhunagev Regine wrote:"Northanger Abbey would be a good place for you to start. It pokes fun at gothic novels and ghost stories."

♥Regine♥, babe, thank you for the recommendation! ;)

message 37: by Monique (new)

Monique @JZHUN~ OMG, may heart pa talaga! Hahaha! :D

Kwesi 章英狮 Jazhun, this is not a place for tuuut, haha, kidding.