Kwesi 章英狮's Reviews > Change of Heart

Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: jodi-picoult, owned, 2011
Read from April 06 to 20, 2011

Every Sunday we went to the church to attend a mass or sometimes we do contemplate ourselves to communicate with God through prayers. Even you are hiding in the dark or in deep spiritual unconsciousness; God will show you the way and give you strength to overcome darkness by his pure light. Nobody knows when or where we will be disappear in this world or how far can our faith help us to conquer evil, it is ourselves who can choose what path we will take it's either the path of evil or the goodness that God gave us in the first place.

Currently, how many religions do we have in the 21st century? Ten, Twenty or maybe more than one hundred. Nobody knows exactly the number of religion that took place in the Earth. Many chose Christianity, maybe some chose Jewish or you wanted to be alone as a spiritual man or someone who don't believe in the existence of God, an aethiest. How can we even manage when religion and thoughts of every individual got conflict in such way to achieve salvation? In Change of Heart, Picoult enthralls everyonewith her captivating story of redemption, justice and love.

Shay Bourne, convicted a very murderous crime that punished him of death. It was one of the worst case scenarios that happened in Hampshire. Some said he was innocent of his crime and some give him no justice to speak of the truth. He killed a man who serviced his life to the people and a daughter that gives hope to the family, or did he really killed them? A fact that he kept everything in secret for the people he loves so much that he wanted to push his limits to salvage himself by offering himself especially his heart to the girl that justice had been victimize.

Michael, a catholic priest and a lawyer in his early years that signed as one of the convector of Shay to sentence him to death and accusing him of 3 major crimes. But his faith to God and his vocation never let him down under the spell of injustice cowardy. But after meeting Shay he was forced to ask himself questions that cannot be answer but only his faith that can help him conquer. Questions about good and evil; himself and above all God.

Maggie, a smart lawyer who have parents who devoted their lives to God and they are Jewish. But besides all those experiences with her parents she admit herself as an atheist who believe only for herself and no other than her philosophies in life. And Lucius, a homosexual who suffered for the death of his boyfriend because of jealousy. He admitted himself that he sees Shay as the new Messiah, he do miracles far from what a normal people can. Multiplying gums, transforming liquid to wine and preaching the word of God.

June, a mother who seek for her happiness and once again losing her daughter Claire. How can she forgive the person who killed her husband and daughter and the only donor to help Claire to survive. A book with five voices that seeks spiritual guidance and justice. Picoult once again give miraculous applause for her literary and commercial type of novel. A powerful and extraordinary book for us to be strengthens. Miracles are inside us; if we believe in them all our wishes will be granted.

There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

In the end of the world the new Messiah will come and show himself in the public to give the message of God. Do you think the message in the last book of the Bible talks about the destruction of the Earth or just simply the new beginning for everyone to change?

Rating - Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult, 5 Sweets and the end of the new century's Messiah! (This is a good book if you want to know more about death penalty in America and to consider the fact the reason why it is being humane and destructive to mankind at the same time Picoult also discussed topics like religion between characters and how they manage to obtain salvation in the end. Not recommended for those people who have soft spot with religion or not open minded, this is not a good start for newbie Picoult readers.)

Challenges:
Book #66 for 2011
Book #40 for Off the Shelf!
Book #8 for Jodi Picoult Reading Challenge 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Change of Heart.

04/06/2011 page 303
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Sip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sip I'm looking forward to reading it. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, if you are into religion conflicts or things that talks about faith. You may like this book, although this one is kind of slow compared to her other works.

message 3: by Sip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sip sort of Paulo Coelho ah. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Uhm, not really. Hehe.

message 5: by Sip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sip hmm. ok. :) I'll find out when I start to read. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Jeez, you already gave it 3 stars!

message 7: by Sip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sip because it's Jodi Picoult. haha. XD Biased?

Kwesi 章英狮 Ahay, haha. But have you started reading the book?

message 9: by Sip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sip The truth is. I haven't start reading it. I'm so hooked up with my sister's keeper. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, ok.

message 11: by Sip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sip i'll let you know. :) I'll read nineteen minutes first. after D & L.. XD

Kwesi 章英狮 Hey don't forget to write your review. Haha.

message 13: by Sip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sip sure. XD

message 14: by Faye (new)

Faye so far, is this good?

Kwesi 章英狮 I'm not recommending this book for beginner Picoult's readers. You have to try her Plain Truth and Nineteen Minutes.

message 16: by Faye (new)

Faye I see, I only read The Pact and I haven't read any of her books aside from that. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 You're welcome, I have that book but I don't have the interest to read it.

message 18: by Faye (new)

Faye Haha, I was mostly bored that's why I haven't read any of her books even if my best friend is a fan of her.

Kwesi 章英狮 I see, her books are addicting for me but boring all the time especially her early works. Her first novel sucks, seriously.

message 20: by Faye (new)

Faye Haha. Thankfully, I didn't offend a (seemingly) fan. I hope I'll like the two books you recommend. I'm gonna try it but not probably this month since my completion duty will start soon.

Kwesi 章英狮 Sweet reads.

message 22: by Faye (new)

Faye i'm already following your blog. :)

message 23: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Apr 20, 2011 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 Thanks! I'll follow you back. Can't find your blog.

message 24: by Faye (new)

Faye it's on my profile.. :)

thanks!

Kwesi 章英狮 You're welcome.

message 26: by Faye (new)

Faye my blogs are still not good as yours but im working on it. pagpasensiyahan mo muna. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha, ok lang.

message 28: by Faye (new)

Faye yay! i found how to add gadgets, but i don't know how to add GR on it. haha.

message 30: by Faye (new)

Faye so, where will i paste it on blogger??i tried it on edit html and it's not working.

message 31: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Apr 20, 2011 11:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 Yap! Why? I think you deleted some part of the code. Why not try it again.

Design - Add Gadget - Scroll Down - Add HTML/JavaScript - Paste the code - Save

message 32: by Faye (new)

Faye haha.yup. thanks a lot for teaching me. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 Again, welcome. Haha.

message 34: by Faye (new)

Faye haha. super kinulit na kasi kita eh.

Kwesi 章英狮 Hindi naman masyado. Haha.

message 36: by Faye (new)

Faye haha.anyway, many thanks to you again, are you into nicholas sparks too?

Kwesi 章英狮 I read 2 of his novels and I find it heart warming. Haha, although not all readers like him.

message 38: by Faye (new)

Faye and those 2 novels are? :)

I also read my sister's keeper and i recently noticed because Bhie told me that Picoult wrote that. haha.

message 39: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Apr 20, 2011 08:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 Safe Haven and The Notebook. I see, do you like it? I'm still looking for a copy of that book.

message 40: by Faye (new)

Faye yeah. I liked the book better than the movie. The movie was less tragic. I read The Notebook and it was on my opinion better than the movie too. I haven't read Safe Haven. Is it good?

Kwesi 章英狮 Safe Haven got a good twist, I don't know if you will like the book but I like it.

message 42: by Rollie (new)

Rollie It isn't the religion that can save you. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 O no, it is your faith who can save you. It depends on the church you are in.

message 44: by Rollie (last edited Apr 21, 2011 05:53AM) (new)

Rollie right. it's your faith and relationship to God that can save you. :) I don't think religion matters unless a certain religion's belief of salvation is different from ours-which is faith. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 I do believe that all religion have there own way of salvation, no matter what kind of salvation you will made for the church to be accepted either kill yourself, donate your organ, suicide or whatever. Those are just examples that I made to exaggerate my reply. Hehe. So if we talk about a church we talk about a place where people share or learn each other about God, it can be an altar or a bible study session or anything or anywhere where you alone or with someone talked about God.

message 46: by Rollie (new)

Rollie There are some issues on donating organs as it's prohibited by the RC Church and some religions. And with the church, it's not a place but people--based from Bible. :) John 3:16. As long as you believed it, and have faith in Him, you're save. Yes your personal relationship with God can also save you. :)

And now we're talking about God. Is it because of Holy Week? :D

Kwesi 章英狮 It was one of the main issue of the book, it's about donating the organ of the protagonist and it was prohibited by the society of Christians and the church. For the protagonist who is not a Christian but a believer of God who don't have a name for his religion can be called a spiritual. That's what religion between religion got this wrong impression to each other. Think outside the box.

About the church, I do agree with you. The church is a group of people who worship God. It was stated in theology 101 that a church is a composite of man and body of Christ. You can call crowd a church when nobody worship God.

Is it because of Holy Week? I don't know. Haha.

message 48: by Rollie (last edited Apr 21, 2011 06:32AM) (new)

Rollie That's what religion between religion got this wrong impression to each other. Think outside the box.

I didn't understand it. :D
I truly understand the churches, for it's stated in the bible about it--even the blood donation. I as human, also understand humans, for we're doing it out of our love. But it's still undeniably unGodly doing. :)

message 49: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Apr 21, 2011 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 What I mean is, every religion have there own interpretation and understanding of things. So discussing about religion is a very inappropriate to discuss. There will be no outcome in the end, this will always be part of our past that nobody is sure of what this religion talks about. It's all about faith, believing without seeing.

And the outside the box, what I mean is you must not stick of what you have think something from what you have learned form the surrounding. Ok. Does everything what I've said make sense?

message 50: by Rollie (last edited Apr 21, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

Rollie Ah okay. Yeah I agree with you. At some point, the different beliefs of different religions could just end up in a useless discussion. Titus 3:9

« previous 1