Bailey's Reviews > The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption

The Lost Dogs by Jim Gorant

Nov 20, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in November, 2010

Reading this book made me want to go back into dog training. Gorant gets so much right about the nature of dogs, and of pit bulls in particular-- I saw in his descriptions echoes of many of the dogs I've worked with. Best of all, he illustrates how an outpouring of abject and depraved cruelty from just a few men brought out the best in so many people across the country, people who gave everything they could of themselves to help.

Having worked at Best Friends, I was eager to hear about the 22 Vick dogs that were placed there. (The 22 were considered to be the "worst" of the lot.) I was surprised, however, to find that Best Friends was rarely mentioned; the narrative focused on the dogs that went into foster care via animal-welfare organizations nationwide. Some of these dogs are now beloved family members and therapy dogs. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't help but feel that Gorant has misrepresented many of these dogs. While all of them have made progress, many are so traumatized that they will never be placed into homes. Choosing to write about the dogs with the greatest chance of success makes for a heartwarming story, but I don't think it's the whole story.

Still, it's worth reading. You may need to have tissues on hand!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Dogs.