Jessica's Reviews > Fallout

Fallout by Ellen Hopkins

Nov 20, 10

Read on November 20, 2010

** spoiler alert ** One of the books on the TAYSHAS List for 2010-2011. I saw this book on a reading list provided for a young adult literature class and was interested in reading it. I had just finished reading Identical and fell in love with Hopkins style and topics of writing. In Fallout, I was only disappointed in the fact that I hadnt realized that it was the third book in a trilogy that I hadnt yet read and I wished I would have read them first. Although it was the last book, I was able to follow the story well. This story follows three different characters (Hunter Haskins, Autumn Shepherd and Summer Kenwood) who have the same mother Kristins Snow. Kristina is a crank/meth addict who had Hunter at 17 and faced her own problems of sleeping around and doing drugs with her own father. Her choices have an effect on her own children and create a chaotic world for them. All three children have different last names and different families and wonder why their mom has neglected them. Hunter deals with his own problems of college life, love, his mom and finding out who is father is. Autumn has OCD due to her mother's addiction when she was pregnant. her father is in prison and she lives with ther grandfather and her Aunt cora who has been like her mother. But once Cora marries, Autumn's life is turned around and causes her to become an alcoholic where she feels she is just like her mother. Summer is bounced around in foster care and hasnt had much love from the people who care for her. Also affected by her mothers drug abuse, she has asthma and is unhappy with the life she lives. Thus leading her to sex and wanting a tasted of the "monster" that her mom is addicted to. All three characters share the common problem of wanting to understand why their mom wasnt there for them. The story continues to show the hardhip they faced and how they overcome their reality and make it better. A great story that I recommend to read after reading the first two books called Crank and Glass. Ellen Hopkins is a great writer and creates stories that young adults can relate to and touch upon topics that many are afraid to talk about. Loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallout.