Marlee Pinsker's Reviews > The Book of Negroes

The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill

Nov 20, 10

Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This book has been heavily reviewed, and many people have mentioned the informational value of the book, its fascinating and stunning events and the strong voice of the main character. I agreed with all of this, but I also agreed with the people who thought Aminata was the only fully explored character of the book. I cried when she found her daughter, but I was left with some questions:

How could her speech have become so very refined when she was taught English by people who themselves did not speak the language in a way that others would have found so very admirable?

How could she ever have made plans to go back to her native village with slavers? After all this, was she so naive that she trusted the people who would kidnap others and sell them? Where did this incredible trust come from?

Why was she so insistent that she would not allow the man who bought her from Appleby and taught her accounting to speak and try to explain himself? He ultimately made it possible for her to escape New York, and she would not even listen to him. (Perhaps we are badly hurt by those who seem to understand, but in this case I would have loved to hear his side of the story.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Negroes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I think that book was just named one of the top Canadian books of the last ten years, but it sounds like it wouldn't make your list?

Marlee Pinsker Not when you compare it to A Fine Balance by Rohintyn Misry. It was a great read, but I had a few doubts about the writing. It will be made into a movie and will succeed very well as a popular book. Look how many people on this website have read it!