Brandon's Reviews > Full Dark, No Stars

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

May 07, 11

bookshelves: 2011, uncle-stevie, fiction
Read from April 06 to May 07, 2011

I have to admit, I was a little hesitant to pick this up. Not because I have any predisposed notions towards Uncle Stevie, it's just that it's a bunch of short stories and it's uncharted territory for me when it comes to King (well, aside from Blockade Billy). I've read a fair bit of his longer fiction or stuff that's over 300 pages (not that I consider 300 pages long). However, after reading the opener 1922, those worries quickly subsided.

King is writing on a common theme here and he elaborates on it in the afterword. Rather than exploring the supernatural world of fiction, he's delving deep into the dark side of humanity. Most of us live our lives surrounded by people we assume are helpful, are kind and loving but as King writes, "When it came to the dark fuckery (awesome word, by the way) of the human heart, there seemed to be no limit." King basically lets it be known, do we really know anyone? In the story, "A Good Marriage", we find out that a woman has been married to a man for 27 years and knew nothing of his extracurricular activities. It's sad and frightening but the story is inspired by actual events - so it's not impossible.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this experience. Throughout these tales, King brings the reader into the dark cellar of a rundown and abandoned house and nearly throws away the key. I've always been a fan of darker fiction and I can't imagine King getting much darker than this.

The only thing keeping this from 5 stars is the fact that while I really enjoyed it, it doesn't measure up to my other King favorites (i.e. The Stand, On Writing..., etc.). That being said, I am going to seek out some of his other short story collections. I have no idea why I was hesitant at all; he obviously has a lot of these collections in his catalog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark, No Stars.

Quotes Brandon Liked

Stephen King
“When it came to the dark fuckery of the human heart, there seemed to be no limit.”
Stephen King, Full Dark, No Stars

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie hey boom boom, we are reading both of these books at the same time!

Brandon Wow! Cool. I'm taking my time with this one..I've been sucked into Hornet's Nest.

Stephanie I'm close to done with the Hornet's Nest.

Leah Young Although you wrote this a mere 3 years ago, I'm reading your comment and the book now. The Bachman Books is my favorite of King's short stories by the way

Brandon Been meaning to read those!