Prangon's Reviews > The Body at the Tower

The Body at the Tower by Y.S. Lee

Nov 10, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, historical-romance, mystery, victorian, i-own, forever-fav, read-in-2011, my-audio-books, cupcake-worthy-books
Read from November 08 to 10, 2011

After finishing A Spy in the House, the first book of The Agency series I just couldn't wait to read The Body at the Tower as well. I loved the book. The time during building the clock tower and all the rumors that grew with it helped placing this story in that period.

Mary is back to her Agency solving another mystery disguised as a boy. She comes close to blowing her cover when errand boys are beaten into pulp by the superior. But somehow she manages to slip away from that situation. In every verge it seems like people will find out she is not Mark Quinn but she comes to manage to uphold herself as a boy to most till the end of the book.

I was very happy to see another name returning to this book as well, James Easton. James is not in good health after returning from India but he tries to act tough. And Mary fails to disguise herself in front of the man. No matter what she does he seems to know it's her.

One of the scene that I loved is when James confronts Mary about being Mark and what happens afterword
“I’m so sorry. I don’t think the etiquette manuals cover this sort of situation.” He leaned in close, his lips all but grazing her neck, and inhaled. “Mmm. You smell good, too.”

She nearly choked. Took a step backwards, until her back met cold stone. “Th-thank you.”

“That’s better. May I kiss you?” His finger dipped into her shirt collar, stroking the tender nape of her neck.

“I d-don’t th-think that’s a good idea.”

“Why not? We’re alone.” His hands were at her waist.

Her lungs felt tight and much too small. “Wh-what if somebody comes in?”

He considered for a moment. “Well, I suppose they’ll think I fancy grubby little boys.”

In this book Mary's feelings for James grows a little but he is still unaware of her reputation as a spy. Even though he have come to know some secret about Mary's past there are allot that's still uncovered.

Overall a good book. If you love reading young-adult, Victorian era this is a book worth checking out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Body at the Tower.

Quotes Prangon Liked

Y.S. Lee

“I d-don’t th-think that’s a good idea.”

“Why not? We’re alone.” His hands were at her waist.

Her lungs felt tight and much too small. “Wh-what if somebody comes in?”

Y.S. Lee, The Body at the Tower