Kit's Reviews > Healthy Congregations: A Systems Approach

Healthy Congregations by Peter L. Steinke

Jan 24, 08

Read in January, 2008

This is 'homework' for us as church officers. I'm annoyed at the writer and his publisher, or maybe I just want to know who Steinke's agent is -- this is not a book, it's a short article padded with quotations (from Henry Kissinger and M. Scott Peck, mind you), diagrams, and scattershot examples.

Basic premise: healthy congregations are healthy bodies: holistic. "Mood can affect the body." "Attitude counts." Uh, yeah.

He throws in random bits of scripture without exploring them, and I HATE it when people do that -- as though just quoting from the Bible means your point is a good one. One bit of Scripture I haven't seen him use yet and am guessing he won't touch here is the "if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out -- if your hand causes you to sin, chop it off" bit (I'm paraphrasing, but I think both Matthew and Mark use it).

How's that for "stewarding the whole" and nurturing "loops," eh?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Healthy Congregations.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Interesting. Once I started reading your review, I vaguely remembered reading an article of Steinke's once and being distinctly underwhelmed, which was disappointing, given that he was writing about things that I care about. It was the same feeling I had after trying to read Jim Wallis' political book a year or so ago. Yes, I'm with you on your critique of the religious right, but please learn how to write a book, please please.