Richard's Reviews > The Roots of Obama's Rage

The Roots of Obama's Rage by Dinesh D'Souza

Nov 20, 10

Read from November 16 to 20, 2010, read count: 1

D'Souza offers an interesting perspective on our puzzling president. It's hard to argue with many of his conclusions.

I give this book 4 stars instead of 5 because D'Souza doesn't deal at all with unions, which seem to be an important key to understanding Obama's philosophy. Also, much less importantly for the purposes of the book, there is no mention of Michelle and anything about their relationship that might further D'Souza's argument.

The test of D'Souza's theory, that Obama is driven by Afro-centric anti-colonialism, will be in its ability to predict Obama's reaction to future events. D'Souza mentions a few somewhat minor events that occurred as the book was being completed. And D'Souza makes some predictions regarding the direction of our policy vis-a-vis Afghanistan. Now that we are a few months after the book was completed, I was looking for other opportunities to test D'Souza's theory. Perhaps one is the coming issue of taxes. Will Obama acquiesce to an across-the-board extension of the current tax rates, or will he have a showdown with the GOP? I think the theory predicts that a showdown is likely.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Roots of Obama's Rage.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Richard Now, 6 to 7 months after I wrote my review, we know that Obama punted. He agreed to a 2-year extension of the Bush tax rates. The showdown could still be coming, however, in June 2011, rates of taxation are not the burning issue. Today, the issues are the debt ceiling, the Arab spring, our relationship with Israel, border security (again), the constitutionality of ObamaCare, disaster recovery, Iran's nuclear program (again), the Greek economy & potential default, OUR economy, and who will capture the GOP nomination.