Erika's Reviews > Space Junque

Space Junque by L.K. Rigel

Nov 20, 10

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, fiction, science-fiction, 100-stars-or-less-blog-reviews, review-books-suddenly
Read in November, 2010

Original post and full review available at:

I saw this posted up on the Kindle group over at GoodReads. Science fiction isn’t normally something I am excited about and therefore is not something I am normally curious about when I come across suggestions or postings on little-known books within the genre. So it was a different experience for me to have this catch my eye. First, it’s title was something I was very curious about. What exactly is a Space Junque? What does it mean? And a paranormal space opera? What does that mean? For some reason there was something inside of me that just had to know. This little novella (or novelette) was cheap enough that I decided to take my chances.

Well I took my chances and believe I did alright with them. The story is intriguing. It follows a woman named Char and her journey from Earth into outer space on what turns out to be a grand adventure. The world is futuristic and much has changed from our current times. We get to see glimpses of the people (mutants, “ghosts”, DOGs, even gods and other spirit creatures) and politics (one world government) along the way and hear Char’s take on the way things are. The world is certainly a very interesting place and adds a lot to the story.

My little quibble with the world building here is that we don’t really get to hear enough these aspects. The author mentions them, we come into contact with characters that either are or know more about these things but they aren’t really explained. For example, Char mentions the “ghosts” quite frequently at the beginning of the story. She sees them and explains what they are doing. She is afraid of coming into contact with them. But if you asked me to tell you what the “ghosts” are after reading this story, I could not tell you. It’s never explained. As for the DOGs, we learn that they are terrorists, we come into contact with them, see how they operate, but the author either leaves out or forgets to explain what the acronym stands for.

Then there is the strong aspect of the story – the one that really kept me reading. Here’s Char’s social life, an unexpected romance, the mystery of what happened to Char’s twin sister Sky, and what appears to be the coming apocalypse on Earth. I’m not sure if it was the scandalous mysteries surrounding these aspects or the unfolding events which really brought them to life but this part of the story was just great. It is filled with action, twists, and turns that will keep you on your toes, flipping pages furiously until the very end.

As a few readers have said over on GoodReads, I wish this story was longer to make it more flushed out. But I also wish this story was longer just so I could keep reading. Despite my reservations about the world building I really did enjoy this little tale. Surely, I will be reading any sequels that come up in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Space Junque.

message 1: by Taymee (new)

Taymee from the small synopsis here on goodreads i infer DOGs stands for Defenders of Gaia, haven't read the book so can't assure it.

Erika Taymee wrote: "from the small synopsis here on goodreads i infer DOGs stands for Defenders of Gaia, haven't read the book so can't assure it."

Thanks for trying to help Taymee. L.K. Rigel actually updates things like this every once in a while based on reader input (in the second book she added a whole new chapter at the beginning because of something a reviewer had to say - can't remember what it was). This book was also called "Hero Material" for a while and I think the synopsis was revamped for that release. The original one was much shorter (see link in my review for the original synopsis).

But thanks for pointing it out because I hadn't noticed that change and now I know what it means :D