Ryn's Reviews > The Dragon's Eye

Nov 20, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: children-s-fantasy
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I'm sorry. It must be said.

This book is a cheap knock-off of Harry Potter. I read the interview with Kingsley included at the back of the novel and was hoping not to find many (I realize that some cliches are inevitable) similarities with JKR's series. Unfortunately, I was totally disappointed.

First of all, Dumbledore makes an appearance, although I'm willing to forgive this one. What book about a boy-hero doesn't include a kind, grandfatherly archetype? However, it only goes south from there. Snape is also present in this novel, albeit going by a different name, position, slightly different appearance, and much less evil. Harry-- sorry, I mean Erec-- has to go through the Triwizard Tournament-- I mean a contest to choose the future rulers of a magical land that is arrived at by approaching a magical platform under King's Cross station-- I mean... No, that actually is true.

Want more? One of the tasks is (sort of) a maze. With magical creatures in. Another is an underwater search for a treasure. There are dementors (although, again, they go by a different name). You escape them by pretty much being a Patronus (embodying all that is happiness and light and hope), except you don't call it that. Also, Erec has messy black hair, although I'm willing to forgive this one as well.

The spells are just ridiculous. 'Double, double, toil and trouble...' in baby-talk, if you can imagine. However, I guess some of the tasks and the children's gifts are nice, and I have a vague desire to know what happened to the triplets who are supposed to be the future rulers of the realm; I just wish I didn't have to read the books to fulfil this desire.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is: if your kid is too young for HP, this is way to go, since it seems to a children's version of the boy wizard's story. I might try reading the rest of the series if I see the books on the shelf, but only out of curiosity to see whether Kingsley can manage to pull anything slightly more creative out of her hat.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon's Eye.

02/26 marked as: read