Ariel Acupan's Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

Jan 27, 2011

Read from January 11 to 23, 2011

Originally posted HERE.

This is my first John Green novel and I was not disappointed. Geek is the new cool, Green just proved that with Paper Towns. There are so many reasons why I like it, 1) John Green created Margoverse, making the novel revolve almost around the awesomeness that is Margo Roth Spiegelman. 2) is how it is funny, geeky and cool at the same time. Finally, 3) is that it teaches you on how you could view life, friends and relationship differently.

MARGOVERSE: With the way Green created the novel, you would definitely get to know Margo. A girl you would sure be interested in knowing but at the same time others might get to hate. Green wrote her with a bit of complexity that we, the readers, would be the one to decide. A girl you could not put into a specific box. A mystery, an adventure, and a badass chick rolled into one but separately at the same time.

FUNNY, GEEKY and COOL: Who would not love the three main character that is Ben, Radar and Q. 1) Ben Starling is the funny guy here. The superglued beer sword, his countdown to peeing moments, and the bloody ben story are the parts where he shines the most. 2) The three of them got different levels of being a geek but for me Marcus "Radar" Lincoln is sums it all up. He's very familiar with gadgets, always depending on "omnictionary" when in doubt and very punctual. 3) Q is the kind of guy who likes things just the way he sees it, constancy in everything, and life as a routine. The three of them is enough plus a road trip same date as their graduation to look for a missing girl is EPIC.

LESSONS LEARNED: I'll just qoute some of the parts I like. There's no other way but to let the book speak to you to know what I've realized and hope that you'll get it the same way I did.

Hope . . .
“The way I figure it, everyone get a miracle.”

On not letting your life pass you by . . .
“I mean, at some point you gotta stop looking up at the sky or one of these days you’ll look back down and see that you floated away, too.”

On being judgemental . . .
"That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people would want to be around someone because they're pretty. It's like picking your breakfast cereals based on color instead of taste."

On letting go . . .
“It is so hard to leave– until you leave. And then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world.”

4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

Aaron Vincent Not only because this is my favorite book you are reviewing, but this review has to be the best from you yet. Coolness.

Ariel Acupan Aaron Vincent wrote: "Not only because this is my favorite book you are reviewing, but this review has to be the best from you yet. Coolness."

Weh . . . (just kiddin). Thanks dude. ^_^

Aaron Vincent Okay na eh, sinamahan pa ng D word. Meh.

Ariel Acupan hahahaha

Tina Great review, hilarious comment exchange. Hahahahahaha. Excuse me while I laugh (and clear away sharp objects). :))

K.D. Absolutely Nice review, Aaron! Parang tumatanda ka na (na-reflect sa lessons lessons na yan). Mag-asawa ka na kaya?

Ariel Acupan Hahahaha, Hala c kuya Doni. Ariel po. (Parang commercial lang ng Mc Donald ito. hahahaha)

Tina MAG-AASAWA NA SI AARON!? :O