Arianna's Reviews > The Man Who Loved Children

The Man Who Loved Children by Christina Stead

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: time-100, 1001books
Read from November 19, 2010 to March 16, 2011

I'm still reeling from the fact that I finished this book, finally...ugh. I don't know what to make of it yet. I wish I remember where I first saw its title - I got it from PaperBackSwap back in April of 2008, although I know I'd had it on my to-read list for years. I saw it in SOMEone's "best books ever" list, and I figured it had to be worth my time. Um - NO. I can't believe I held out through the whole thing, although I DO have trouble not finishing a book I start. Even if I feel like it's a huge waste of my time. The characters frustrated me, and the ending was NOT all it was cracked up to be.

I had no idea that Jonathan Franzen was a big proponent of this book OR that his novel Freedom has been compared to it; it was interesting to learn that just now when reading others' reviews! Weirdly enough, I was reading them both at the same time, and it IS interesting to note the similarities, particularly amongst the dysfunctional families. In any case, I will have to look up that Franzen article, and I know I have to read Randall Jarrell's introduction to the book again, at the very least to simply be reminded of why he was so enamored of this work. Perhaps it will change my mind a bit, too....
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Loved Children.

12/29/2010 page 90
16.0% "Not sure what I think of it thus far...hope it's not a case of people talking it up too much & my being disappointed...."
03/15/2011 page 498
86.0% "So close to being done I can taste it!!"